Flag of Malaysia

Malaysia forum

Thaipusam festival question

• hypersigil

Click here to learn more about hypersigil
    Joined Travelfish
    16th November, 2010
    Location Canada

I am going to be arriving in KL on Jan 19, 2011 for the Thaipusam festival at the Batcave near KL, which takes place this year from Jan 20 - 22. I was wondering if anyone here had experienced this festival before and could let me know if it is worthwhile staying for the whole thing, all three days, or if it is rather repetitive after a while. I don't have very long at all in Malaysia. If you think that the whole festival is not worth staying for, which day should I go -- the first, or last? Any other recommendations for witnessing this spectacle?

#1 Posted: 16/11/2010 - 09:19

• Advertisement

• AbgAcid

Click here to learn more about AbgAcid
    Joined Travelfish
    28th November, 2009
    Location Malaysia
    Total reviews: 21

Hi Hypersigil,
    Thaipusam is a colorful Hindu religious festival. It s celebrated in most part of the country, but the greatest would be at Batu Caves.
    Its not just 2-3 days at Batu Caves, instead its a week long festival, commencing just a day before and ends up a week later. The biggest crowd will be on the 1st day itself, no doubt. If you are prepared, visit on 1st day. There are more ritual offerings that will keep you occuppied whole day long.
    Its more like a repeatitive events, so the next day would be quite the same though the offerings would be made by different people or stature and presentations may be quite different.

regards
    AA

#2 Posted: 16/11/2010 - 15:20

• hypersigil

Click here to learn more about hypersigil
    Joined Travelfish
    16th November, 2010
    Location Canada

Thanks for your response. I think I will stay for the first two days then, based on your description. From what I can find on the net, everyone seems to show this year's festival as Jan 20-22, so hopefully Batu Caves for the 20th and 21st will be the first and second day. I am really looking forward to experiencing this festival and seeing the offerings.

#3 Posted: 17/11/2010 - 07:50

• diabololiam

Joined Travelfish
    1st September, 2010
    Location United Kingdom

Hi, I am doing a similar thing too. AA - how easy is it to spend the days leading up and the first day on Penang (for the breaking of the coconuts etc), and then travel on the second day (21st) to KL to witness the pilgrimage to Batu caves. Will all transport be booked up? Am I attempting to much? Or is it fairly easy to see both?

#4 Posted: 25/11/2010 - 22:23

• AbgAcid

Click here to learn more about AbgAcid
    Joined Travelfish
    28th November, 2009
    Location Malaysia
    Total reviews: 21

Hi diabolism, sorry late reply, just back from motorbike trip to Thailand 10 days.
    Yes, thats possible. Its just 3.5 hrs bus trip from Penang to KL. Suggest have fun watching coconuts breaking till afternoon. Then take the express bus later in afternoon or even at night. But need to prebook the ticket earlier a day or two prior. Thaipusam is not a nationwide holiday, only some states have the previledge, so I dont think bus ticket will be an issue. From your hotel, take a taxi. Batu caves is in the vacinity of KL, no problem.

AA

#5 Posted: 30/11/2010 - 13:09

• CapturingPe-
    nang

Joined Travelfish
    19th September, 2010

I hope you guys had a great time at Thaipusam! For those who missed it, check out this two minute video of Thaipusam in Penang.

Thanks!

Reese & Mark

#6 Posted: 21/1/2011 - 23:16

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Malaysian must see festival!!! A Without Borders Video on Thaipusam ... By withoutborders on 19 Aug 2009 2 1909 19 Aug 2009