Photo: Kayaking Langkawi's mangroves.

Malaysia forum

Thaipusam festival question

Posted by hypersigil on 16/11/2010 at 09:19

I am going to be arriving in KL on Jan 19, 2011 for the Thaipusam festival at the Batcave near KL, which takes place this year from Jan 20 - 22. I was wondering if anyone here had experienced this festival before and could let me know if it is worthwhile staying for the whole thing, all three days, or if it is rather repetitive after a while. I don't have very long at all in Malaysia. If you think that the whole festival is not worth staying for, which day should I go -- the first, or last? Any other recommendations for witnessing this spectacle?

#1 hypersigil has been a member since 16/11/2010. Location: Canada. Posts: 5

Posted by AbgAcid on 16/11/2010 at 15:20

Hi Hypersigil,
Thaipusam is a colorful Hindu religious festival. It s celebrated in most part of the country, but the greatest would be at Batu Caves.
Its not just 2-3 days at Batu Caves, instead its a week long festival, commencing just a day before and ends up a week later. The biggest crowd will be on the 1st day itself, no doubt. If you are prepared, visit on 1st day. There are more ritual offerings that will keep you occuppied whole day long.
Its more like a repeatitive events, so the next day would be quite the same though the offerings would be made by different people or stature and presentations may be quite different.

regards
AA

#2 AbgAcid has been a member since 28/11/2009. Location: Malaysia. Posts: 162

Posted by hypersigil on 17/11/2010 at 07:50

Thanks for your response. I think I will stay for the first two days then, based on your description. From what I can find on the net, everyone seems to show this year's festival as Jan 20-22, so hopefully Batu Caves for the 20th and 21st will be the first and second day. I am really looking forward to experiencing this festival and seeing the offerings.

#3 hypersigil has been a member since 16/11/2010. Location: Canada. Posts: 5

Posted by diabololiam on 25/11/2010 at 22:23

Hi, I am doing a similar thing too. AA - how easy is it to spend the days leading up and the first day on Penang (for the breaking of the coconuts etc), and then travel on the second day (21st) to KL to witness the pilgrimage to Batu caves. Will all transport be booked up? Am I attempting to much? Or is it fairly easy to see both?

#4 diabololiam has been a member since 1/9/2010. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 6

Posted by AbgAcid on 30/11/2010 at 13:09

Hi diabolism, sorry late reply, just back from motorbike trip to Thailand 10 days.
Yes, thats possible. Its just 3.5 hrs bus trip from Penang to KL. Suggest have fun watching coconuts breaking till afternoon. Then take the express bus later in afternoon or even at night. But need to prebook the ticket earlier a day or two prior. Thaipusam is not a nationwide holiday, only some states have the previledge, so I dont think bus ticket will be an issue. From your hotel, take a taxi. Batu caves is in the vacinity of KL, no problem.

AA

#5 AbgAcid has been a member since 28/11/2009. Location: Malaysia. Posts: 162

Posted by CapturingPenang on 21/1/2011 at 23:16

I hope you guys had a great time at Thaipusam! For those who missed it, check out this two minute video of Thaipusam in Penang.

Thanks!

Reese & Mark

#6 CapturingPenang has been a member since 19/9/2010. Posts: 6
 Website   Twitter 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.