Flag of Malaysia

Malaysia forum

Malaysia april 2011

• nnlsbin

Joined Travelfish
    24th November, 2010

hi

My boyfriend and I (ages 27 and 23) are planning on going to Malaysia for about 2 weeks at the end of April. We are looking for a quiet place to relax on the beach, we dont plan on scuba diving or doing any snorkelling and arent really into going out. we are just wanting a romantic holiday where we can get away and relax and spend time together.

Does anyone have any suggestions. I have heard that tioman, langkawi and the perenthians are good, but i keep hearing they are very developed and getting quite busy. We are willing to travel just about anywhere, east or west coast is fine.

Also would you recommend booking accommodation before we get there or should we just be able to get accommodation when we arrive? We are looking for midrange to cheap (backpacker rates) accommodation and dont require much in the way of facilities, just the basics.

thanks in advance

#1 Posted: 24/11/2010 - 08:34

• Advertisement

• AbgAcid

Click here to learn more about AbgAcid
    Joined Travelfish
    28th November, 2009
    Location Malaysia
    Total reviews: 21

Hi Nnisbin,
    The islands on the eastern peninusla are usually less crowded. Pulau Perhentian is a good choice, though weekends can be quite crowded. Try google for places furtehr away from the jetty, more seculded areas down the southen tip of the island. Anyway, april do not coincide with local school holidays and I think you hsould be Ok

On the other hand, there are many other locations on the mainland whcih can be very quiet and peaceful. Eg is the Teluk Iskandar Inn at Kg Teluk Iskandar , Mersing. A nice 7 cosy rooms accomodations facing the sea on stilts. Its is run by a friendly elderly couple. Rm120 per nite with breakfirst. Its sort of break away locations and the environemat certainly has aura in it. Very well maintained place.

AA

#2 Posted: 30/11/2010 - 13:22

• idreamofdur-
    ian

TF writer
    Click here to learn more about idreamofdurian
    Joined Travelfish
    5th September, 2008
    Location Singapore
    Total reviews: 4

Langkawi is quite developed and has a very package-tourist vibe to it, so probably isn't what you're looking for. The Perhentians and Tioman Island are much more relaxing. There are still places on each island that remain romantic; as AbgAcid said, look for a resort away from the ferry arrival point if you want somewhere more isolated.

My boyfriend I spent a week on Perhentian Kechil and it was heavenly, but this was nearly 3 years ago so I would imagine it's more developed. I know you said you're not into snorkeling, but it's certainly worth trying on the Perhentians as odds of seeing sea turtles and (harmless) reef sharks are very high.

On Tioman I stayed at Air Batang (ABC) beach and it was also nice. The beachfront near our guesthouse was rocky, but we were able to find patches of white sand suitable for stretching out on a bit further down. There were lots of cool little crabs and monitor lizards hanging around, too. The accommodation here is budget to mid-range and it's pretty chilled at night. Another plus of Tioman is that it's a duty-free island, so if you want to relax with your bf and a bottle of wine, prices are great. If you're going on a weekday, you'd be fine to just show up without a booking and find a room.

If you want to take in a bit of culture, you could check out Penang for a day or two and then head over to Batu Ferringhi on the northern part of the island. I haven't personally been there, but I know resorts prices are very competitive so it might be a good choice if you want to splurge on a resort for a couple days.

If you're looking for a truly empty tropical island, I highly suggest checking out Pulau Besar near Melaka . It's not worth going there just for the island, but if you're going to Melaka you should definitely check it out -- white sand beaches, clear water, and *no* people. There's 1 place to stay on the island and a couple food stalls.

#3 Posted: 30/11/2010 - 16:07

• SYEDONAZAMI

Joined Travelfish
    22nd January, 2011

Yup, info that has been given by Abgacid and idreamofdurian is really informative and correct. For me Pulau Perhentian is the best choice for both of you.. Happy holiday...

#4 Posted: 22/1/2011 - 18:38

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.