Flag of Malaysia

Malaysia forum

Snail Pace Through Sarawak

• CaitlinP

Joined Travelfish
    17th December, 2009

Hi all
    I'm traveling with a girlfriend for 10 days in Sarawak. We don't move fast, or far, and she's on a tight budget, so I'd love some advice about how to best spend our time.

Ideally, we want to spend some time in National Park, a LOT of time on a beach without spending much money, and maybe two nights somewhere luscious and outrageously cheap for what it is!

I've trawled the net already, and am wondering whether the little town of Lundu might be a good base, because its near two National Parks, and near a beach? What's the beach like? Is there cheap bungalows near the beach? Is there a reasonable hotel that might manage to drum up a room with a pool and a cocktail for one or two nights? Any other suggests of somewhere two snails but set up home and just gently meander out from?

Any suggestions welcome!

#1 Posted: 1/12/2010 - 18:05

• Advertisement

• CaitlinP

Joined Travelfish
    17th December, 2009

Hi all!
    No replies? Actually, I have - 1 replies? Not sure how that even works! Is my query to abstract? Surely someone has advice about Sarawak?!

#2 Posted: 8/12/2010 - 11:07

• sems

Joined Travelfish
    8th August, 2010

My advise for traveling cheaply in Sarawak is to hire a car, we went 2 years ago and hired a tiny buzz box through Cat City Car Rentals it was about $20AUD per day with insurance, the car was virtually brand new, aside from some creative navigation in Kuching (you will need a map and a good navigator) it was very easy to go far and wide yourself, the traffic outside of Kuching was very tame and the roads were well signposted. We visited Bako (they have bungalows not sure of the price as we stayed in the city and did day trips), Semenggoh (for the orangutans) Matang wildlife centre, Damai beach (not sure if they do budget accommodation up there, we stayed in the tree houses at Permai rainforest resort) and went down to the Ranchan pools at Serian (waterfalls and swimming holes in a park like surrounds and its free) and went out to the wind and fairy caves (take a torch or headlamp). We found it really handy to have our own transport and it worked out to be cheap if you add up taxi fares or buses / tours for 2, petrol was cheap and as we found Sarawak to be very un touristy trips to where you want to go may be either hard to find or come with a premium price tag. At least if you have your own transport and have some great lodgings you could do day trips and spend as much time as you want on the beach! Sorry can't help with Lundu. Travel safe :)

#3 Posted: 19/12/2010 - 08:23

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.