Flag of Malaysia

Malaysia forum

Langkawi to Thailand

• CrankyCarrot

Click here to learn more about CrankyCarrot
    Joined Travelfish
    24th March, 2010
    Location Thailand

I'm heading back to Thailand from Penang and wondering if it's worth going via Langkawi.

If I do that, do people typically re-enter Thailand in Satun, or do they go back through the mainland of Penang and go the Hat Yai route?

Are there any extra costs associated with going back to TL through Satun?

Why is it 60rm to Langkawi and only 30rm to Hat Yai, which is way further?

#1 Posted: 15/12/2010 - 09:27

• Advertisement

• CrankyCarrot

Joined Travelfish
    24th March, 2010
    Location Thailand

Bah forget it. I knew I shoulda posted this on Thai Visa.

#2 Posted: 16/12/2010 - 23:18

• idreamofdur-
    ian

TF writer
    Click here to learn more about idreamofdurian
    Joined Travelfish
    5th September, 2008
    Location Singapore
    Total reviews: 4

Langkawi is an island, so that 60rm must be the ferry price. Boats always cost more. From Langkawi you can get another boat right to Pak Bara, Thailand.

From Penang to Hat Yai they just stuff you into a mini-van.

#3 Posted: 17/12/2010 - 09:02

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

Don't forget that Langkawi is tax free. You can get more bang for your buck.

#4 Posted: 17/12/2010 - 09:20

• CrankyCarrot

Joined Travelfish
    24th March, 2010
    Location Thailand

@Liz - Langkawi is tax free? Why's that? How do you take advantage of it? It isn't evidenced in the accom prices from what I saw, that's for sure.

@Dreamer - I guess I can hack paying a little extra for boats, but... well, double price to go half the distance...

In the end I just figured stuff it, and re-tread the old Penang-Hat Yai-Krabi route on my way back to good ol' Phuket. Deciding whether to head North after that to BKK and Chiang's Mai and Rai, or whether to postpone it and get an apartment in Patong/beach it up til they run out of sand.

I know all about being stuffed into mini vans now, but I actually had a great van, seat and driver for the border crossing trip.

This guy was polite, didn't drive like a suicidal maniac, and was cool with me using his cup holder to store garbage. Oh, and he didn't blast that awful local pop through a tv or sound system.

Had his daughter with him, so I guess that was an incentive not to overtake on bends at 140km per hr like some other drivers I've had. If I was making the trip regularly, I'd change my plans to get in on his ride.

Think I'll be best off doing the next V run to another consulate though.

#5 Posted: 18/12/2010 - 16:45

• idreamofdur-
    ian

TF writer
    Click here to learn more about idreamofdurian
    Joined Travelfish
    5th September, 2008
    Location Singapore
    Total reviews: 4

Langkawi is duty-fee, i.e. cheap booze. Alcohol is highly taxed in Malaysia, so the duty-free status makes Langkawi extra appealing as a weekend holiday destination for residents.

Tioman Island on the east coast and Labuan Island on Borneo are also duty-free destinations.

#6 Posted: 18/12/2010 - 17:30

• CrankyCarrot

Joined Travelfish
    24th March, 2010
    Location Thailand

Hmm, good to know. I basically give up drinking every time I'm in Malaysia. Just as I give up burgers when I'm back in Thailand.

Both are way cheaper in the other country.

#7 Posted: 19/12/2010 - 15:50

• CrankyCarrot

Joined Travelfish
    24th March, 2010
    Location Thailand

Hmm, good to know. I basically give up drinking every time I'm in Malaysia. Just as I give up burgers when I'm back in Thailand.

Both are way cheaper in the other country.

#8 Posted: 19/12/2010 - 15:51

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

You can also hop from Langkawi across to Ko Lipe on scheduled speedboats or slower boats - emigration at the pier immigration at the arrivals beach office - and then island hop on other scheduled services all the way to Phuket or Krabi.

#9 Posted: 9/1/2011 - 17:57

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.