Flag of Malaysia

Malaysia forum

Traveling through Malaysia by Train (to KL)

• ginger1

Joined Travelfish
    22nd December, 2010

Hi!

My boyfriend and I are hoping to train our way back down to KL after 2 weeks in Southern Thailand / islands. I know the most direct route (?) is to train from Hat Yai along the west coast down to KL. I saw in another posting on here that someone suggested a different train route through central Malaysia called the "jungle railway." Can anyone recommend one way or the other? We are definitely hoping to stop at at least one or two places on the way down - we will give ourselves 3 or maybe even 4 days if necessary. I'd love suggestions on where to stop - we love beautiful beaches, but are also interested in other sights / experiences, and the rainforest park on the jungle railways does sound amazing. Has anyone taken the jungle railway or have more information on it?

Thanks!

#1 Posted: 27/12/2010 - 10:40

• Advertisement

• AbgAcid

Click here to learn more about AbgAcid
    Joined Travelfish
    28th November, 2009
    Location Malaysia
    Total reviews: 21

Hi ginger,
    Jungle train?.. yes thats possible. Tak e a bus or train from Hat Yai to Sungai Golok, That'sthe thai border town to Malaysia. Then cross in Malaysia. You may start you jungle train journey at Pasir Mas.
    Alternatively take a bus to Tak Bai, then cross to Malaysia and start your jungle train journey from Wakaf Baru.

AA

#2 Posted: 4/1/2011 - 13:43

• SYEDONAZAMI

Joined Travelfish
    22nd January, 2011

Yup., if you want to enjoy beautiful beaches then you should go along the east cost. Lots of beaches over there. I f you go through the West coast, there a re also lot of places to visit and then you can go back to the east coast from KL, by taking bus...

#3 Posted: 22/1/2011 - 18:26

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
hostels in malaysia and train ride from malaysia to singapore ... By samtahir on 31 Oct 2012 4 1051 2 Nov 2012