Flag of Malaysia

Malaysia forum

Malaysia In July

• sean82

Joined Travelfish
    29th December, 2010

We Fly in to KL on the 1st July for our Honeymoon and will be spending approx. 3 weeks in Malaysia.

We were thinking about spending the whole time in the Perhentians Besar but was wondering is that too long. We both love Scuba diving and just relaxing on tropical islands but as I can gather from other posts and guide books there isn’t a lot to do other than dive, snorkel and relaxing on the beach. Was thinking maybe spend 2 weeks there and a week somewhere else?

If you think 2 weeks is too much then please suggest how long is enough. We will probably dive 3 to 4 days depending on the amount of different dive sites on offer.

If you could please recommend somewhere else to go in Malaysia Peninsular (Not KL spent a week there last year which was too long not a big fan of big cities) or Borneo (Might go there for 8 days?).

Also if we book only two weeks accomodation on the Perhentians and then decided to stay for the duration of our trip would we have trouble finding somewhere else during the peak season?

If anyone can help we will be very grateful.

#1 Posted: 4/1/2011 - 09:50

• Advertisement

• AbgAcid

Click here to learn more about AbgAcid
    Joined Travelfish
    28th November, 2009
    Location Malaysia
    Total reviews: 21

Hi sean
    yes 10 days fine enough to stay at perhentians. And then fly off to Borneo. As borneo is a large place, you will need at least 10 days to cover Sabah, mount kinabalu, simpang mengayau, the orang utans or the see gypsies water villages..

have fun
    AA

#2 Posted: 4/1/2011 - 13:29

• hayleydot

Joined Travelfish
    6th January, 2011

I would probably agree with that- Perhentians is beautiful both above and below the water- I have spent a month there and was happy chilling on the beach, snorkelling, diving - but then i really love diving so I did quite a lot. Borneo is awesome too, and you could try your luck at diving Sipidan gets full quick but from friends photos I am sure it would be worth booking well in advance.

Selamat jalan!

#3 Posted: 6/1/2011 - 17:24

• sean82

Joined Travelfish
    29th December, 2010

Thanks for your help.

We have decided to spend three weeks in Borneo now. After a bit of research I've got a bit excited on what Borneo has to offer.

Hayleydot: Whats the diving like a Sipidan? Susy is only a novice diver and i've read that the dive is more suited to advanced divers. Can you recomend any dive sites/Locations for Novice/Beginner Divers?

Thanks

#4 Posted: 7/1/2011 - 07:51

• hayleydot

Joined Travelfish
    6th January, 2011

Borneo is beautiful, but I haven't actually dived at Sipidan myself, tried to a couple of years ago but it had a 2 month waiting list so couldn't fit it into the time I was in Borneo. Have heard some great reviews about Sipidan though. - I think you maybe right I think you have to be at least advanced PADI certified- not sure though.
    Definitely do some diving in Perhentian while you are there, check out Bubbles DC and resort on the big island- that's where I did my courses and they are environmentally conscious too- it is one of the locations where HOPE (helpourpenyu) is based, a sea turtle conservation organisation.

Sorry i couldn't help more with Sipidan.

#5 Posted: 7/1/2011 - 14:09

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.