Flag of Malaysia

Malaysia forum

Looking for tips for Malaysia in May

• siquick

Joined Travelfish
    12th January, 2011

Hi guys,

My girlfriend and I are landing in KL in mid May and have this basic route mapped out. I understand that the monsoon season happens on the west coast at this time so we are looking to spend more time on the east coast - just wondering if people could suggest some other places to go and/or comments on the below. We dont have a time scale so happy to go off to places worth seeing.

KL -> Cameron Highlands->Perhentians

Perhentians look amazing but not quite sure how much there really is to do there so thinking 1 week should be enough?

Is Borneo worth heading to?

After Malaysia we are going to head to Indonesia so this should have some bearing on where we depart Malaysia from.

Apologies for the really basic post, hoping people can help :)

Cheers in advance
    Si

#1 Posted: 24/1/2011 - 20:44

• Advertisement

• idreamofdur-
    ian

TF writer
    Click here to learn more about idreamofdurian
    Joined Travelfish
    5th September, 2008
    Location Singapore
    Total reviews: 4

You've got a good start. If you like nature and trekking, you could add a trip to Taman Negara rainforest in the center of the country. It's approximately between the Cameron Highlands and Pulau Perhentian. The Perhentians are lovely islands but a week is definitely enough time to chill out on the beach and go diving/snorkeling a couple times. There isn't much to do there other than those.

I highly recommend Borneo (East Malaysia). There are quick, cheap flights from Kuala Lumpur to Kuching or Kota Kinabalu -- both cool cities and launching points for trekking, visiting hill tribes, seeing orangutans, etc. If you have lots of time you can actually travel to Indonesia via Borneo. Take a bus from Kuching to Kalimatan and then you can get a flight to Jakarta. Otherwise, you'd have to fly back to Kuala Lumpur or Singapore to get a flight elsewhere in Indonesia.

#2 Posted: 24/1/2011 - 22:01

• ahmoimoi

Joined Travelfish
    22nd January, 2011

Hi siquick,
    Welcome to Malaysia :-)

Taman Negara in Pahang is the place to be if you love the jungles and all things outdoors.Things to do include,scenic boat ride along the river to Malaysia oldest rainforest nature park;visiting the aborigine village to get a glimpse of their live,how they hunt with their blow-pipes,make fire from bark of trees etc.; caving at the "ear cave";rapid water shooting; a stroll up the canopy walkway..high above trees(awesome view);short and easy trek up Teresek Hill;Night jungle walk and Night safari.

A whole week in Perhentian island is too long unless you love the sun and sea..

Other places of interest include the popular Sg Lembing Rainbow Waterfall in Kuantan.The town itself Sg Lembing has many things to offer tourists local or foreign..unspoilt town.

Kemasik beach in Terengganu though not as famous,is awesome too...

Waterfalls around KL which is within easy access is a nice place to visit if you are into it...

That's about it for now...

Well,how much you enjoy your trip really depends on what kind of trip you are interested in..

#3 Posted: 24/1/2011 - 23:11

• siquick

Joined Travelfish
    12th January, 2011

Thanks guys this is all excellent stuff. Especially like the sound of whats on offer in Borneo and in Taman Negara!

Is it worth spending much time in KL?

Thanks again!

#4 Posted: 24/1/2011 - 23:28

• idreamofdur-
    ian

TF writer
    Click here to learn more about idreamofdurian
    Joined Travelfish
    5th September, 2008
    Location Singapore
    Total reviews: 4

KL is worth a couple days.

- The Chinatown Market (Petaling Street) is pretty crazy and great for fake goods (perfume, clothes, watches) if you're into that
    - Bukit Bintang is a really fun place to be at night with street performers, music, shopping, and lots of great bars and restaurants.
    - Batu Caves are definitely worth the trip outside the city for the beautiful landscape and cultural activities
    - You can go on a guided tour to the Petronas Twin Towers or KL Tower for a great view of the city. Petronas Tour used to be free but now there's an entry charge.
    - If you're into art or history, KL has some good Islamic Art museums and Malaysian Cultural/History Museums

#5 Posted: 25/1/2011 - 12:39

• ahmoimoi

Joined Travelfish
    22nd January, 2011

Beside fake branded stuffs,Chinatown has unique and old buildings structure around it.Places of interests are the 2 chinese temple,an indian temple,the St.Mary church opposite of the Sultan Abdul Samad building.Within walking distance is the old railway station building too.(I've just been there recently as a local tourist and it amazed me of the diversity of culture)

Apart from that,if you are interested in nature walk,there is the FRIM(Forest Research Institute of Malaysia) located in Kepong which boasts of the beautiful Botanic Garden of Kepong on the other side of it.

Also not to be missed are waterfalls around Kuala Lumpur namely Kemensah waterfall behind the National Zoo, Sg Pisang Waterfall,Komenwel Waterfall(do a google search on www.waterfallsofmalaysia)

Watching the sunrise at nearby Bukit Tabur(longest quartz ridge in the world) easy trek is a must for nature lovers.

Another place of interest would be the fishing village of Pulau Ketam off Port Klang.A fishing village built on stilts stand majestic amidst the sea.Access is easy because one can board the kommuter train from KL Sentral right up to Port Klang.Get off the train and turn right towards the jetty to board the speedboat to the fishing village(Pulau Ketam).Seafood is cheap too

#6 Posted: 25/1/2011 - 22:21

• siquick

Joined Travelfish
    12th January, 2011

thanks again guys, Im sure I'll back back with a load more questions.

#7 Posted: 2/2/2011 - 20:16

• slapbreeya

Joined Travelfish
    22nd April, 2011
    Location Thailand

Taman Negara: Hands down the best and oldest rainforest i have ever seen.

#8 Posted: 25/4/2011 - 08:28

• slapbreeya

Joined Travelfish
    22nd April, 2011
    Location Thailand

ahh no. Out of excitement for the rainforest I forgot to mention the Perhentian Islands. Do a snorkeling trip for the day. Turtles, sharks and millions of fish. Good luck :)

#9 Posted: 25/4/2011 - 08:29

• xenosadams

Joined Travelfish
    3rd May, 2011

These is really a very wonderful place to visit i had visited it at once with my family and just got fall in love with these beautiful country.The which i had appreciated most is peoples out there are very friendly and honest you will never fill cheated or insecure in Malaysia.

#10 Posted: 3/5/2011 - 21:39

• Advertisement

• Alec

Joined Travelfish
    2nd June, 2011

I think Borneo (East Malaysia) is worth heading to if your really into adventure and nature. One of the most fulfilling places you can go is to Kota Kinabalu in Sabah, where you can climb Mount Kinabalu. Its the tallest mountain in all of South East Asia. Its quite an easy trek up the mountain, usually takes about 2 days up and back down. The thing not to miss about the trek up the mountain is to catch the sunrise while you are at the summit.

Cheers

Providing unbiased, insightful, and useful travel info to Asia!
    www.alectravelguide.com

#11 Posted: 9/6/2011 - 21:33

• cliona

Joined Travelfish
    12th October, 2011

Kuala Lumpur is really a strange city because it has many strange things to do. Dipping your feet in a pool and a feeling of small fish nibble is a great. There are many places that elate your heart such as Thean Hou Temple. This temple is one of the most magnificient temple in malaysia.Other than this Batu caves is one of the top tourist place.

#12 Posted: 17/10/2011 - 12:18

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.