Flag of Malaysia

Malaysia forum

Malaysian health care

• heddenswest

Joined Travelfish
    7th January, 2011

I'm going to be traveling for almost 4 months this coming fall.

I'll be starting in Bali and passing briefly through Malaysia on my way to Thailand, Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos and Burma...
    I am in the process of determining which vaccinations I need to get but they are expensive and not covered by insurance where I am currently living.
    Malaysia ostensibly has good health care.
    Can anyone comment?
    Any thoughts on getting vaccinated there (Hep A, typhoid, maybe Japanese encephalitis?...)?
    I'm also considering the rabies vaccination prior to Bali. Comments on that?

Thanks for your time

#1 Posted: 26/1/2011 - 12:38

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

We started our series of shots for Rabies yesterday (we live in Bali). There have been over 120 fatalities now from rabies here on Bali and while the authorities are starting to get their act together, there's still a hell of a lot of un-vaccinated dogs about the place (it's apparently ok to get bitten by one with a red collar!)

If you're only spending a brief time in Bali then I probably wouldn't bother with it, but if you're spending a bit of time here, then yes, I'd get the shots.

Cost wise, for a family of four, it is costing 1,860,000 rupiah for the full series of shots.

I've not spent anytime in Malay hospitals so can't really comment on that sorry.

#2 Posted: 26/1/2011 - 14:49

• heddenswest

Joined Travelfish
    7th January, 2011

Thanks for your help Somtam...
    I'm very torn about the Rabies and know I need to talk with a doctor about it too.
    I live in Japan, vaccinations are expensive and not covered by insurance. I'll only be in Bali for about 10 days but hope to do more than sit on a beach...hiking and getting off the beaten path a bit.
    I'm also traveling throughout SE Asia for awhile after that.

#3 Posted: 27/1/2011 - 07:05

• jivie798

Joined Travelfish
    6th February, 2011

Malaysian healthcare is generally well subsidised... so you dun have to be worried of getting overcharged if you get admitted...
    As for immunisation,
    1. Get BCG vaccination done... its a must nowaday...
    2. If you going on nature tour... get malarial prophylaxis...

#4 Posted: 7/2/2011 - 18:21

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.