Flag of Malaysia

Malaysia forum

Help getting started

• jonyd1

Joined Travelfish
    29th September, 2010

Hey all - so I am looking at having about 2 weeks in Malaysia, and I was hoping for some advice on getting started with an itinerary (I am a bit lost...have done a fair amount of research, but I can't seem to get a handle on what would be best). I would be flying into, and out of Singapore.

I would like to try to get a good mix of nature and the local culture - I have seen 2-3 days in Kuala Lumpur is probably enough? I have also seen people suggest a few days in the Cameron Highlands, as well as Penang - what other place would be good to try to fit in?

I would also like to fit a couple days into Singapore as well. So, I was hoping that given my limited amount of time, maybe someone would have a good idea of routes to take. Also, how easy/quickly can you get around? Do you think it is worth trying to fit borneo in as well?

Thanks!

#1 Posted: 2/2/2011 - 04:16

• Advertisement

• sems

Joined Travelfish
    8th August, 2010

Singapore is about the easiest city in the world to get around, just find a place to stay that is close to an MRT station, with this, buses and a bit of walking you can get to all the places you want to go easily and cheaply.
    K.L is a amazing city you would probably want to check out Batu caves (take the train and then a taxi, its heaps cheaper), KL Tower, Petronas towers, chinatown, central market, and if you are interested there is parks and wildlife right in the heart of the city, its cheap, safe and friendly, so in a few days you could get a good look around, grab some bargins and eat great food!!
    Penang has about the best food in Malaysia, check out Kek Loc Si and Penang hill and stay around Batu Ferringhi for the night market and cheap, tasty food. There are heaps of temples and history to check out but I would only stay for a few days.
    Langkawi is brilliant, heaps of beaches and the geopark and lots to see and do, cable car, 7 wells waterfall, aquarium, hire a car or a scooter to get around, its cheap and easy, heaps of signs and its like driving in a small country town.
    You didn't say when you were planning to go, if its in the wet season the islands off the east coast pretty much shut down.
    I haven't been to the Cameron Highlands but I would give Genting highlands a miss, its cheesy and quite average (good for a laugh if you have a day to kill but thats about it ).
    Borneo is amazing, Sarawak is very un touristy and has heaps of nature to check out, again hire a car to get you around, the tourism infrastructure is quite poor, but it would be a stretch to do that with your 2 weeks, Sabah is also a favourite but again I would focus on mainland Malaysia in your 2 weeks. There is more than enough to keep you busy there and with Singapore, I have spent around 2 months all up in Malaysia on 3 different trips and still feel like I have so much more to explore! If you want some nature on the mainland you could check out Taman Negara, I haven't been but its on my wish list. Let me know if you want anymore help, if I've been there I would be happy to help you out!! travel safe :)

#2 Posted: 4/2/2011 - 20:10

• AbgAcid

Click here to learn more about AbgAcid
    Joined Travelfish
    28th November, 2009
    Location Malaysia
    Total reviews: 21

Hi jonyd1,

Probably listed below are places you should see. But however I will skip Borneo as you have only 2 weeks to explore.
    1. after Singapore , express bus to Melaka . ( 3hours) Historical town, its a world heritage. Lot of Muzeums. old historical buildings and sites, jonker street, trishaws, baba nyonyas ( a fascinating culture), Rivercruise boats, They are all located close to each other. Prepare for 3 or 4 nights.

2. From Melaka to Kuala Lumpur (bus 3 hrs)
    Big city, landmark (Petronas twin towers)), national art gallery, KLCC, shopping, Batu caves, etc etc, and again prepare yourself for 3 nights.

3. From KL you may go to Cameron Highlands (4 hours direct bus) Cool high country, tea plantations, strawberries, orchids, jungle trekking. (2 nights) should be good enough

4. From Cameron Highland- Taman Negara (4-5 hours - vans)
    You may enter taman negara via boat ride at Kuala Tembeling, a fun ride upstream crossing some small rapids. 4 hours. Or you may use road transportation via Jerantut by Vans.
    Facinating lush primary forest. Tunbing, boating or simply trekking and overnight at some dersignated campsite. 3 nights.

After taman negara, you have option of going to Penang to enjoy food, shopping, night life... or Rest a couple of days on an idylic island of perhentians. Scuba, snorkling oir just laying idle on the beach.

Then back to singapore to catch the flight.

have fun and a good holiday.
    Welcome to Malaysia

AA

#3 Posted: 6/2/2011 - 09:47

• jonyd1

Joined Travelfish
    29th September, 2010

Thanks so much for the replies! A great kick start to planning (was quite lost before, but feeling good now...). Thanks again

#4 Posted: 9/2/2011 - 23:30

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.