Photo: Kayaking Langkawi's mangroves.

Malaysia forum

East Coast of Malaysia in August

Posted by starfish on 17/2/2011 at 19:36

Hi there
We are a mixed age group (10 years to 50) spending 3 weeks on the East Coast of Malaysia in August. We initially wanted to visit the Perhentian Islands but are finding mid range accommodation almost impossible to book. We don't mind basic but it has to be very clean. Should we give these a miss and just head for Tioman or any ideas for other islands/beach resorts to visit. We don't want anything too touristy just nice beaches, good food and laid back atmosphere. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

#1 starfish has been a member since 23/3/2009. Posts: 20
 Twitter 

Posted by AbgAcid on 18/2/2011 at 15:04

Hi starfish,
No, better not skip Perhentians. Its the perfect island for laid back life style in Malaysia. I m pretty sure there will be mid range accomodations if you look more. Perhentians consist of 2 islands, the big perhentian and small perhentian. The cheaper accomodation is on the smaller island where there is a village. The bigger island accomodates resorts only.
Regret I dont have contact numbers at the moment, as I usually walk in and look for one without prior bookings.

best of luck
AA.

Ps.. Pulau Kapas at Kuala Terengganu can be another option, but snorkling isnt as good.

#2 AbgAcid has been a member since 28/11/2009. Location: Malaysia. Posts: 162

Posted by goonistik on 18/2/2011 at 16:06

Hi!

Try going over the list of accomodations here:
http://wikitravel.org/en/Perhentian_Islands

http://www.perhentian.com.my/

#3 goonistik has been a member since 7/1/2010. Location: Philippines. Posts: 562
 Where has goonistik been? 

Posted by starfish on 18/2/2011 at 19:07

Thanks guys for the information. What about Redang?

#4 starfish has been a member since 23/3/2009. Posts: 20
 Twitter 

Posted by hayleydot on 20/2/2011 at 15:06

Hi starfish,

I reccommend going to the Perhentians, you can relax and its not too busy. I love it and am heading back there in a few days or so.
While you are there you should look out for our Help Our Penyu info booths, we are a sea turtle conservation charity based on the islands. We will be promoting marine awareness at various beaches around the islands- there will be games and activities for children too. If you see us, come over for a chat.
Alternatively you could join our 3 day 2 night turtle island experience- giving tourists an introduction in HOPE's work.

Enjoy Perhentian - they are beautiful.

#5 hayleydot has been a member since 6/1/2011. Posts: 13

Posted by starfish on 20/2/2011 at 16:28

Thanks Hayleydot, Sounds great

#6 starfish has been a member since 23/3/2009. Posts: 20
 Twitter 

Posted by ButterflyGlove on 3/3/2011 at 14:56

Hey starfish,

Definitely head to Perhentian Islands, I love it there and the snorkelling is amazing. When I was there last May I saw turtles, sharks, and huge bump head parrotfish.

There are two islands, Perhentian Besar (Big Perhentian) and Perhentian Kecil (Small Perhentian).

The lower budget places are on the small island and this is the island that is popoular with backpackers. Its extremely laidback and I loved the vibe there. Although I never stayed on the big island, I was told that this is where many of the resorts are and most of the visitors are families and couples.

I stayed at a lovely little place called Lemongrass Bungalows on the small island, but this was a fairly basic bungalow with shared bathroom. I think it was around 45 ringit per night, which was amongst the cheapest you could get at that time of year.

Have a great time, and if you head up to Kota Baru from there. Make sure you check out a shadow puppets show :)

#7 ButterflyGlove has been a member since 20/2/2011. Posts: 7

Posted by starfish on 10/3/2011 at 00:25

Thanks ButterflyGlove

#8 starfish has been a member since 23/3/2009. Posts: 20
 Twitter 

Posted by slapbreeya on 25/4/2011 at 08:26

If it was me, i would just rock up and find whatever is available. There are alot of options on both the large and small island. If ya don't mind have a trek when you first arrive, then just get off the boat and walk up and down the beach. There are amazing places that are clean and also at a reasonable price. Good luck :)

#9 slapbreeya has been a member since 22/4/2011. Location: Thailand. Posts: 50
 Twitter 

Posted by Alec on 9/6/2011 at 21:39

Definitely Perenthian islands should not be missed. Tiomman island is nice, but over the years its been over developed, and now its losing that unspoilt beach appeal.

Providing unbiased, insightful, and useful travel info to Asia!
www.alectravelguide.com

#10 Alec has been a member since 2/6/2011. Posts: 21

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.