Flag of Malaysia

Malaysia forum

East Coast of Malaysia in August

• starfish

Joined Travelfish
    23rd March, 2009
    Total reviews: 2

Hi there
    We are a mixed age group (10 years to 50) spending 3 weeks on the East Coast of Malaysia in August. We initially wanted to visit the Perhentian Islands but are finding mid range accommodation almost impossible to book. We don't mind basic but it has to be very clean. Should we give these a miss and just head for Tioman or any ideas for other islands/beach resorts to visit. We don't want anything too touristy just nice beaches, good food and laid back atmosphere. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

#1 Posted: 17/2/2011 - 19:36

• Advertisement

• AbgAcid

Click here to learn more about AbgAcid
    Joined Travelfish
    28th November, 2009
    Location Malaysia
    Total reviews: 21

Hi starfish,
    No, better not skip Perhentians. Its the perfect island for laid back life style in Malaysia. I m pretty sure there will be mid range accomodations if you look more. Perhentians consist of 2 islands, the big perhentian and small perhentian. The cheaper accomodation is on the smaller island where there is a village. The bigger island accomodates resorts only.
    Regret I dont have contact numbers at the moment, as I usually walk in and look for one without prior bookings.

best of luck
    AA.

Ps.. Pulau Kapas at Kuala Terengganu can be another option, but snorkling isnt as good.

#2 Posted: 18/2/2011 - 15:04

• goonistik

Joined Travelfish
    7th January, 2010
    Location Philippines
    Places visited:
    At least 9

Hi!

Try going over the list of accomodations here:
    http://wikitravel.org/en/Perhentian_Islands

http://www.perhentian.com.my/

#3 Posted: 18/2/2011 - 16:06

• starfish

Joined Travelfish
    23rd March, 2009

Thanks guys for the information. What about Redang?

#4 Posted: 18/2/2011 - 19:07

• hayleydot

Joined Travelfish
    6th January, 2011

Hi starfish,

I reccommend going to the Perhentians, you can relax and its not too busy. I love it and am heading back there in a few days or so.
    While you are there you should look out for our Help Our Penyu info booths, we are a sea turtle conservation charity based on the islands. We will be promoting marine awareness at various beaches around the islands- there will be games and activities for children too. If you see us, come over for a chat.
    Alternatively you could join our 3 day 2 night turtle island experience- giving tourists an introduction in HOPE's work.

Enjoy Perhentian - they are beautiful.

#5 Posted: 20/2/2011 - 15:06

• starfish

Joined Travelfish
    23rd March, 2009

Thanks Hayleydot, Sounds great

#6 Posted: 20/2/2011 - 16:28

• ButterflyGl-
    ove

Joined Travelfish
    20th February, 2011

Hey starfish,

Definitely head to Perhentian Islands, I love it there and the snorkelling is amazing. When I was there last May I saw turtles, sharks, and huge bump head parrotfish.

There are two islands, Perhentian Besar (Big Perhentian) and Perhentian Kecil (Small Perhentian).

The lower budget places are on the small island and this is the island that is popoular with backpackers. Its extremely laidback and I loved the vibe there. Although I never stayed on the big island, I was told that this is where many of the resorts are and most of the visitors are families and couples.

I stayed at a lovely little place called Lemongrass Bungalows on the small island, but this was a fairly basic bungalow with shared bathroom. I think it was around 45 ringit per night, which was amongst the cheapest you could get at that time of year.

Have a great time, and if you head up to Kota Baru from there. Make sure you check out a shadow puppets show :)

#7 Posted: 3/3/2011 - 14:56

• starfish

Joined Travelfish
    23rd March, 2009

Thanks ButterflyGlove

#8 Posted: 10/3/2011 - 00:25

• slapbreeya

Joined Travelfish
    22nd April, 2011
    Location Thailand

If it was me, i would just rock up and find whatever is available. There are alot of options on both the large and small island. If ya don't mind have a trek when you first arrive, then just get off the boat and walk up and down the beach. There are amazing places that are clean and also at a reasonable price. Good luck :)

#9 Posted: 25/4/2011 - 08:26

• Alec

Joined Travelfish
    2nd June, 2011

Definitely Perenthian islands should not be missed. Tiomman island is nice, but over the years its been over developed, and now its losing that unspoilt beach appeal.

Providing unbiased, insightful, and useful travel info to Asia!
    www.alectravelguide.com

#10 Posted: 9/6/2011 - 21:39

• Advertisement

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
August weather - East coast ... By emma066 on 27 Apr 2010 4 5075 14 May 2010
East coast of peninsular Malaysia during Ramadan ... By georg066 on 15 Jul 2012 1 1623 19 Jul 2012
South Thailand to East Coast Malaysia - any other ideas? ... By goodquestion on 28 Mar 2008 0 2105 28 Mar 2008
Cycling trip - Bangkok to Singapore Via the East Coast of Malaysia ... By Enduro on 10 Jan 2013 2 2598 12 Jan 2013
Road trip USA - East coast to West coast ... By svinoth03 on 12 Sep 2012 0 789 12 Sep 2012
East coast or West coast thailand? ... By steffanmathias on 20 Oct 2008 3 15464 25 Oct 2008
East Coast to West Coast! ... By Glome on 5 Nov 2011 2 1932 6 Nov 2011
East coast vs. West coast? ... By olsons on 20 Aug 2007 2 4308 27 Aug 2007
East Coast / Islands ... By nedders on 27 Jan 2010 6 3523 25 Jan 2011
East Coast Beaches ... By Lraj on 25 Apr 2012 3 1781 4 May 2012