Flag of Malaysia

Malaysia forum

How to organise climbing Mt Kinabalu?

• flather5121

Joined Travelfish
    9th March, 2011

Posted from within Vietnam.

I am looking to climb this peak in the coming month, but it can be delayed by a further month if necessary, and i am trying to figure out how exactly you can be sure that you can climb Mt. Kinabalu when you arrive in Sabah. What bookings can be made in advanced and what should be booked in advanced. Has anyone done it recently? What should I take with me? What price range am I looking at if I am a single traveller? Would it be better to try to find someone to climb it with- if so would anybody like to join me??
    Thanks for all the help

#1 Posted: 12/3/2011 - 15:30

• Advertisement

• goonistik

Joined Travelfish
    7th January, 2010

There is a trail that goes up the mountain. My brother and his family did it about 2 years ago.

You can find out more here.

http://www.climbmtkinabalu.com/

#2 Posted: 13/3/2011 - 10:12

• jivie798

Joined Travelfish
    6th February, 2011

Ur looking at tour which is going to cost you roughly about 500 ringgit, inclusive of food, accomodation, guides, conservation fees and insurance..... but this is negotiable depending on how big the group is...

#3 Posted: 20/3/2011 - 00:57

• idreamofdur-
    ian

TF writer
    Click here to learn more about idreamofdurian
    Joined Travelfish
    5th September, 2008
    Location Singapore
    Total reviews: 4

You need a park permit to climb Mt. Kinabalu which can be organized through the National Park or a travel agency. It's advisable to arrange this in advance because if your climb date falls on a Malaysian or Singaporean public holiday (when there will be many climbers) the accommodations on the mountain may be full. It'll be somewhat cheaper if you can join a group and share the guide fee and transport costs, but the park permit and accommodations on the mountain are the main expenses.

As mentioned above, http://www.climbmtkinabalu.com/ is a great resource.

#4 Posted: 21/3/2011 - 00:06

• amz155

Joined Travelfish
    30th August, 2006

How does one try to join a tour in advance? Do they only book groups if the people all book at the same time? Or can we request to be put with another group to save costs?

Also, if we hire porters to take up a bag with some essentials, what do we do with the rest of our regular travel packs during the climb?

#5 Posted: 21/3/2011 - 08:23

• amz155

Joined Travelfish
    30th August, 2006

Also, I'm really trying to talk myself into thinking I can do this climb but I don't know. I'm in good health and am fit but when I tried to climb Merapi on Java last year, my knees did not react well on the descent. And that was only maybe a three hour descent. Looks like Kinabalu is a 12 hour decent. I feel like it would be a waste to visit Borneo and NOT climb it but I'm limited by my stupid knees :(

#6 Posted: 21/3/2011 - 08:29

• sockmonster

Joined Travelfish
    20th April, 2011

Posted from within Vietnam.

Hi, I am pretty much after the same info as the original post. I have scoured the various websites and I am confused by the options regarding where you stay at the end of your first days climbing and whether there will even be any room! We want to do the climb early next month (May), our schedule is flexible however by a few weeks. I have been on the Sutera Sanctuary website, they have a booking form for "Laban Rata" but there was no availability for the next 2 months. I am aware that they have other types of accomodation but I can't find them on the website to check availability or price. I have read that you need to book the climb as far ahead in advance as possible but we have only just settled on the dates that we will be getting into Malaysia. Does everyone plan ahead or can you arrange it at shorter notice? Is it best to book with a tour company and have them arrange everything or do it yourself? Any info would be appreciated as it is something that we really want to do. Thanks

#7 Posted: 20/4/2011 - 17:08

• goonistik

Joined Travelfish
    7th January, 2010

This is what I found in wikitravel. Read the April update.

Formerly administered by Sabah Parks all accommodations in the park must now be arranged through Sutera Sanctuary Lodges, a private company, [2] Tel: +60-88-303917 Fax: +60-88-317540 info@suterasanctuarylodges.com). Note: Be advised that Sutera (a.k.a. Sutera Harbour) is requiring hikers stay the first night at their lodge near the entrance. This is in addition to a required stay at Laban Rata at about 11,000 ft. The cost to stay is considerably higher than at lodging just outside the park, and includes a mandatory purchase of meals etc.
    • Kinabalu Park, ☎ +60 88 889086, [3]. At the starting point of the trail to Mt. Kinabalu. Accommodation ranges from hostels to individual rooms (for up to two people) to entire cabins and lodges (for larger groups). All have access to simple kitchen facilities. RM70 for dorm beds, RM92-RM184 for suites, RM230-RM1,150 for entire lodges. edit
    • Laban Rata, ☎ +60 88 267289, [4]. Laban Rata is the accommodation near the peak of Mt. Kinabalu where you'll stay when climbing Mt Kinabalu. Laban Rata Rest House is the main facility, featuring heated accommodation and the only restaurant. The compound also consists of several smaller accommodation units available, most with cooking facilities. Apart from Laban Rata Rest House, the only other heated unit is Gunting Lagadan Hut. The other is a Waras Hut which is non-heated dorm. All huts are close to the main resthouse, but even a 50m trek uphill in bad weather can seem like an eternity. Fills up very quickly so advance reservations (3-4 months ahead) are strongly encouraged. The link here does not list the dormitories, so call up and enquire personally. edit
    UPDATE APRIL 2011: All huts and Laban Rata now cost 415RM for a 60 bed dorm. Since 2009, there has been a problem with the electricity, leaving all rooms unheated and with cold water. A small generator does provide some lighting. There doesn't seem to be any plans on fixing this in the near future. (If they do fix it, a dorm bed at Laban Rata will cost 475RM.)

#8 Posted: 20/4/2011 - 19:57

• kiwigirlnz

Joined Travelfish
    17th August, 2011

Thanks for all the info!
    I got quoted RM 1,740 for a two night package via Timpohon on Sutera Sanctuary Lodges website. Just wondering if anyone knows if you can book through another company or just book the accommodation through them and pay or a guide and the hike fees separately? This just seems really expensive!!
    thanks!

#9 Posted: 28/11/2011 - 19:39

• JResidence

Joined Travelfish
    25th February, 2014

Dear All,

Just 300 metres away from the entrance of Kinabalu ParkHeadquarters, J Residence is the nearest lodge outside Mount Kinabalu NationalPark, and with rooms price three times lower than those chalets and lodgesinside Kinabalu Park. T

If you are one of those travellers who need budget, simply basic and close tonature accommodation around Kinabalu Park Headquarters, then J Residence willbe a perfect place for you.

Cheers
    www.jresidence.com

#10 Posted: 25/2/2014 - 21:00

• Advertisement

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Climbing Mt. Kinabalu via Ferrata (Low Peak Circuit) - Mar 7-8, 2014 and looking for a travel buddy ... By steventanhl on 5 Jan 2014 0 295 5 Jan 2014