Flag of Malaysia

Malaysia forum

Borneo to Perhentians--travel time?

• amz155

Joined Travelfish
    30th August, 2006

*IF* we wanted to travel from Borneo to the Perhentians (just an idea for now), how many days should I budget for the transfer? I figure we'd fly Borneo to KL then KL onto Kota Bharu either by flight or by overnight bus. And then onto Perhentian Besar.

Is the overnight bus a good option to save money?

I can't find a good beach to laze on for a few days in Borneo (TARP seems more for day trips, islands near Sandkan seem to be more for diving and don't really have a beach, all the exclusive islands have very $ accommodation) so figure we'd have to go to Perhentians.

Any other ideas?

I've read about Manana Beach resort in Sabah but can't find too much info on it so not sure if is worthwhile:

http://www.manana-borneo.com/

#1 Posted: 26/3/2011 - 02:38

• Advertisement

• AbgAcid

Click here to learn more about AbgAcid
    Joined Travelfish
    28th November, 2009
    Location Malaysia
    Total reviews: 21

Hi amz,
    Yes, the overnight bus is a good option. Its fast, safe and comfy too.From Kota Baru you need to go to Kuala Besut by taxi or bus. Its just app 80 km away and you will be there less than 2 hours, ready to ba\oard the boat to Perhentians. There are budgets bungalows at Perhentian kecil

Another island option is Tioman just off the coast of Mersing. It has good buget bungalows too., or you may go to Sibu island which is closer to the mainland (though more uprated resorts and spas)

have fun
    Acid

#2 Posted: 31/3/2011 - 12:43

• amz155

Joined Travelfish
    30th August, 2006

Ah, I didn't realize Kota Bhura and K. Besut were that far away. I just don't want to lose so much time on travel. Is that the only way to go to/from KL? And can we catch the overnight bus from the airport?

#3 Posted: 1/4/2011 - 05:26

• AbgAcid

Click here to learn more about AbgAcid
    Joined Travelfish
    28th November, 2009
    Location Malaysia
    Total reviews: 21

yes, looks like you have no other option. And you need to go t KL Pudu to get the bus, no bus availble to Kota Bharu from the airport.

Or take direct air asia flight from borneo towns to Kota baru. They are available.

regards
    AA

#4 Posted: 2/4/2011 - 07:34

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Critique my itinerary (Borneo + Perhentians) ... By amz155 on 10 Apr 2011 1 2503 10 Apr 2011
How do I travel to Malaysia Borneo National Park from Indonesia side Borneo? ... By suswati37 on 26 Dec 2010 0 3195 26 Dec 2010