• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Total reviews: 53
    Places visited:
    At least 48

Hey all -

I'm going to do a training course in KL for 6 days and am wondering about budget. I've already got the hotel figured out - and will be spending most of my time in the heart of the city where the conference center is. Breakfast included in the hotel, but wondering how much I should budget daily for expenses, keeping in mind that from 9 - 5 I'll be in a conference center.

Right now I'm thinking 150 MYR per day (50 USD) for food/drinks/transportation. Thinking that on some days I'll spend less so I'll have the chance to splurge on one or two nights. Research showed me that street food is 10 MYR, a beer 10 MYR, a nice restaurant meal about 90 MYR, and taxi less than 30 MYR anywhere in the city center (but avoid them). Does that sound about right?

#1 Posted: 3/4/2011 - 14:49

• Advertisement

• idreamofdur-
    ian

TF writer
    Click here to learn more about idreamofdurian
    Joined Travelfish
    5th September, 2008
    Location Singapore
    Total reviews: 4

Hiya -

KL is a cheap city if you experience it like a local -

* 10 RM will get you plenty of streetfood/a meal in a mall foodcourt / a meal in a simple local restaurant. Something simple like chicken rice or fried noodles will be 3-5 RM.

* I was in KL last weekend and my boyfriend and I went to a Mexican Restaurant in the upscale Pavilion Mall. Entrees were 20-50 RM and margaritas 25.

* A beer from a convenience store or local cafe. A cocktail at a restaurant or upscale bar is > 20 RM.

* A taxi ride within the city centre should be under 10 RM but not all drivers automatically use the meter... if you approach a taxi waiting outside your hotel or a tourist attraction they'll quote you a much inflated flat rate. KL has an extensive public transit system -- bus routes can be complicated to figure out, but there's a monorail / trains and fares are < 2 RM.

#2 Posted: 3/4/2011 - 16:51

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Total reviews: 53
    Places visited:
    At least 48

thanks!

#3 Posted: 3/4/2011 - 17:26

• AbgAcid

Click here to learn more about AbgAcid
    Joined Travelfish
    28th November, 2009
    Location Malaysia
    Total reviews: 21

Exactly like what Idreamofdurian wrote, thats the way it is in KL. And if you take food like the locals do for the budget of rm150 per day plus transport, you will put on weight in no time. Foodwise is realtively cheap at KL.

Enjoy yourself.

#4 Posted: 3/4/2011 - 20:35

• monkeyrock

Joined Travelfish
    8th September, 2008

Accommodation is the only thing that really tend to be expensive. There are some budget options in Chinatown (Petaling Street area), but look around carefully because some rooms are not that clean.
    I used to stay in a nice guesthouse called Grocer's Inn, just around the corner from the old Pudu Raya bus station, one person one night was around rm 25, and quite clean, also.

#5 Posted: 4/4/2011 - 10:00

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.