Flag of Malaysia

Malaysia forum

Which direction: Kuching to Sandakan or vice cersa?

• amz155

Joined Travelfish
    30th August, 2006

Air Asia is having a sale for travel dates while I'll be in Borneo (Sept). So if I want to take advantage of the sale I'll have to decide on itinerary sooner than later.

Is there any reason why I should go in a certain direction for these stops:

KL-Kuching-Bako-Kuching-Miri-Mulu-Miri-KK-Sandakan-Kinabatangan-Sandakan-KL

OR

KL-Sandakan-Kinabatangan-Sandakan-KK-Miri-Mulu-Miri-Kuching-Bako-Kuching-KL

I am preferring the option where I end in Kuching so that if we have extra days before going back to KL we'd have lots to do around Kuching.

Does it matter in which direction I travel that route?

Thanks!

#1 Posted: 4/4/2011 - 23:33

• Advertisement

• amz155

Joined Travelfish
    30th August, 2006

Oops, sorry about the typo in the title :p

#2 Posted: 4/4/2011 - 23:34

• daviddwilly

Joined Travelfish
    17th December, 2010

Hi amz155,
    we had a similar dilema as yourself as we are heading there in June and although we booked our flights oiver a month ago it was a similar offer.
    After reading lots of replies on here and other sites and flicking through guide books and asking friends who have been we decided to fly to sandakan first. This is because there seems to be more to do over the eastern side of Borneo, for example - turtle island, sepilok reserve, river cruises and mt.kinabalu etc. so it made sense for us to get to these places first so we do not spend to much money and go over budget.
    There are also jungle treks etc. from Kuching, but we found that return flights or onward flights from Kuching where cheaper than Sandakan.
    I'm sure others will have their opinions on your topic (who have actually travelled there already) but thought I would offer my advice as I had to make the same decision.
    Good luck and enjoy your trip :)

#3 Posted: 6/4/2011 - 08:28

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.