Photo: Kayaking Langkawi's mangroves.

Malaysia forum

Which direction: Kuching to Sandakan or vice cersa?

Posted by amz155 on 4/4/2011 at 23:33

Air Asia is having a sale for travel dates while I'll be in Borneo (Sept). So if I want to take advantage of the sale I'll have to decide on itinerary sooner than later.

Is there any reason why I should go in a certain direction for these stops:

KL-Kuching-Bako-Kuching-Miri-Mulu-Miri-KK-Sandakan-Kinabatangan-Sandakan-KL

OR

KL-Sandakan-Kinabatangan-Sandakan-KK-Miri-Mulu-Miri-Kuching-Bako-Kuching-KL

I am preferring the option where I end in Kuching so that if we have extra days before going back to KL we'd have lots to do around Kuching.

Does it matter in which direction I travel that route?

Thanks!

#1 amz155 has been a member since 30/8/2006. Posts: 111

Posted by amz155 on 4/4/2011 at 23:34

Oops, sorry about the typo in the title :p

#2 amz155 has been a member since 30/8/2006. Posts: 111

Posted by daviddwilly on 6/4/2011 at 08:28

Hi amz155,
we had a similar dilema as yourself as we are heading there in June and although we booked our flights oiver a month ago it was a similar offer.
After reading lots of replies on here and other sites and flicking through guide books and asking friends who have been we decided to fly to sandakan first. This is because there seems to be more to do over the eastern side of Borneo, for example - turtle island, sepilok reserve, river cruises and mt.kinabalu etc. so it made sense for us to get to these places first so we do not spend to much money and go over budget.
There are also jungle treks etc. from Kuching, but we found that return flights or onward flights from Kuching where cheaper than Sandakan.
I'm sure others will have their opinions on your topic (who have actually travelled there already) but thought I would offer my advice as I had to make the same decision.
Good luck and enjoy your trip :)

#3 daviddwilly has been a member since 17/12/2010. Posts: 17
 Twitter 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.