Flag of Malaysia

Malaysia forum

Taman Negara or Sarawak for nature?

• WDCtraveler

Joined Travelfish
    23rd April, 2011

This May I'm taking a one-week vacation to Malaysia (as an add-on to a business trip to Singapore), with plans to visit Penang and KL for a day or two each. But this urban dweller and mostly urban traveler would like to leave her comfort zone and try a not-too-strenuous foray into the jungle to see animals, plants, and if possible, indigenous people. I've narrowed it down to Taman Negara or Sarawak around Kuching. TN would mean one less flight and probably more time in KL, but Kuching sounds like an interesting town in itself, and the wildlife viewing opportunities sound wonderful. Any thoughts on which is better for this time of year and my ability level?

#1 Posted: 23/4/2011 - 01:22

• Advertisement

• idreamofdur-
    ian

TF writer
    Click here to learn more about idreamofdurian
    Joined Travelfish
    5th September, 2008
    Location Singapore
    Total reviews: 4

Taman Nagara has the most amazing trees I have ever seen, but I honestly didn't see that much wildlife. I did a 6 hour hike (some birds, termite mounts) deep into the jungle and spent the night at one of the bunbuns (rustic wooden huts). There's a salt lick outside the hut and some animals come at night.... Even with all that effort all I saw was one tapir and one deer!

Kuching is a lovely little town and the orang utan sanctuary is a must-visit (though they're not truly wild). Bako National Park is close enough that you can visit as a day trip, but wildlife viewings are best in the early evening so definitely spend the night if you go. Odds are very good of seeing proboscis monkeys and there's usually some boars hanging around the camp grounds (so no strenuous hiking).

How long do you have for the nature-y part of the trip? Taman Negara looks like it's close to Kuala Lumpur, but you'll need a solid half-day to get there.

#2 Posted: 24/4/2011 - 01:49

• WDCtraveler

Joined Travelfish
    23rd April, 2011

I'm still working on my itinerary... I arrive in Singapore at nearly midnight on a Fri. I was thinking about sleeping at/near the airport that night, then flying to either Penang or Kuching first thing Sat. If it's the latter, I'd try to do the overnight wildlife viewing Sun-Mon, then fly to Penang Tue., KL Fri, and back to Singapore Sat. pm/Sun. am. Or I could skip KL for one more day each in Kuching and Penang or an earlier arrival in Singapore. Any suggestions?

#3 Posted: 24/4/2011 - 05:35

• slapbreeya

Joined Travelfish
    22nd April, 2011
    Location Thailand

Wow!! Such a hard decision. My best advice would be do both and keep your fingers crossed. However, I have hiked around Taman Negara but i haven't been to Sarawak, but i have heard its amazing and i have plans to go one day. Good luck :)

#4 Posted: 25/4/2011 - 08:22

• idreamofdur-
    ian

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    5th September, 2008
    Location Singapore

They're all fine options, really. If you don't want to do strenuous overnight hiking I think you should go to Kuching -- you'll get more wildlife in a shorter time.

You also mentioned that you're interested in indigenous people... well a true longhouse stay you need more time than you have, but there's an excellent "Sarawak Cultural Village" near Kuching with models of the house styles of each tribe, traditional hunting techniques, arts, dance, music, etc. I usually stay far, far away from things like that (sound super-cheesy) but it was excellent.

AirAsia also flies Kuching - Penang ... so you can do Singapore - Kuching - Penang - Singapore all flights to maximize your time.

Unless there's something really specific you wanted to see in KL, I think by hitting Penang/Kuching/Sing you're getting a good feel for the region and could skip it - Singapore has the big city/malls part, Penang for history/food, and Kuching for nature.

#5 Posted: 25/4/2011 - 08:59

• WDCtraveler

Joined Travelfish
    23rd April, 2011

Thanks, IDODurian. Your advice matched my gut feeling and what I heard from others. I'm doing Singapore-Penang-Kuching-Singapore with an overnight trip to Bako while in Kuching.

#6 Posted: 29/4/2011 - 12:07

• idreamofdur-
    ian

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    5th September, 2008
    Location Singapore

Have fun! I live in Singapore if you have any questions about the city.

#7 Posted: 29/4/2011 - 12:22

• Alec

Joined Travelfish
    2nd June, 2011

This is a great recommendation. If anyone who goes to Kuching, be sure to have some of the seafood there. Its gonna be of of the most freshest seafood your gonna get in Malaysia.

Cheers!

Providing unbiased, insightful, and useful travel info to Asia!
    www.alectravelguide.com

#8 Posted: 9/6/2011 - 21:36

• WDCtraveler

Joined Travelfish
    23rd April, 2011

Thanks to all--I ended up spending half the week in Penang and the other half in and around Kuching. I'd have to say Kuching was the the highlight of the trip. I took an overnight trip to Bako and saw plenty of wildlife, spent an afternoon at the orang utan sanctuary, and took a half-day trip to Sarawak Cultural Village to get at least a small look at the indigenous cultures. I still had time to explore Kuching, which is a charming little city (with great seafood, yes!). IDODurian, I ended up with little free time in Singapore, sadly. My conference was near Orchard Road, which was not my scene (though I loved the food courts). When I finally got out to explore Chinatown, Little India, and the central business district, I enjoyed the city more.

#9 Posted: 9/6/2011 - 21:59

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Taman Negara ... By perkypurplepixie on 4 Aug 2009 15 14532 10 Dec 2009
taman negara ... By wayney666 on 14 Sep 2011 1 2101 6 Jan 2012
From perhentian islands to taman negara ... By jonyd1 on 4 Mar 2012 5 5658 11 Mar 2012
Day trip to Taman Negara... advice please! ... By MirTraynor on 16 May 2010 0 3452 16 May 2010
kl to Taman Negara National Park one day ... By sharpie on 14 Apr 2010 2 5143 16 May 2010
VIDEO: Taman Negara, Malaysia ... By inspiredbykrissi on 18 Dec 2011 0 3149 18 Dec 2011
Langkawi to Taman Negara National Park ... By mario23 on 19 Dec 2011 2 3108 5 Jan 2012
Penang or Taman Negara or / and Perenthian Islands ... By markio on 6 May 2010 1 3805 7 May 2010
Perhentian islands and Taman Negara in late Sept - Oct ... By gilrand on 27 Jul 2009 9 11007 14 Aug 2011