Flag of Malaysia

Malaysia forum

Kl to penang

• savorygal

Joined Travelfish
    16th July, 2010

I have an extra 4 days & so I am doing a spur of the moment trip to penang from KL. wondering how long it takes to get there. train vs bus? seems like it would be rather easy to arrange something from a guesthouse? I don't have a malaysia guidebook, so am trying to wing it. any logistical help would be appreciated.

#1 Posted: 16/5/2011 - 11:28

• Advertisement

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

I never have a guidebook with me either so I don't know if this the "best" way but I just went to Puduraya bus station and got on a bus. (Seems Puduraya has just reopened after lengthy renovations).

It took about 5 hours to get to Penang and the buses were extremely comfortable, heaps of leg room, but they usually stop at Sungai Nibong bus terminal, 20 minutes out of Georgetown and you then have to get a taxi or a bus into town.

I did once get a bus FROM Penang to KL that left from near Komtar (central Georgetown). It was a private bus company and I can't remember the name now but it might be worth asking to see if you can't find a bus company that takes you all the way to Georgetown.

#2 Posted: 16/5/2011 - 14:04

• goonistik

Joined Travelfish
    7th January, 2010
    Location Philippines
    Places visited:
    At least 9

The bus is faster. The train has more legroom but it takes about 7 hours.

There are express buses that only do 1 pitstop so that would be preferred.

#3 Posted: 17/5/2011 - 06:46

• Alec

Joined Travelfish
    2nd June, 2011

Bus would be a better than train, since the train is slower. 5 hours is about right from KL to Penang via bus. However sometimes you can catch pretty cheap air tickets from KL to Penang. By air, its less than an hour flight. You can check out if there are any promotions at the air asia website:

http://www.airasia.com

Cheers!

Providing unbiased, insightful, and useful travel info to Asia!
    www.alectravelguide.com

#4 Posted: 14/6/2011 - 13:54

• mikethediver

Click here to learn more about mikethediver
    Joined Travelfish
    23rd March, 2008
    Location Thailand
    Total reviews: 3

I'm not sure any buses are allowed into Georgetown any more; they all stop at the bus terminal 20 minutes outside of Georgetown. But you do not need to get a taxi. The new 'Rapid Penang ' buses will take you to Komtar Center, Liba Cuila, or the Jetty for 2 RM.

In fact, you can a bus to Butterworth & take the ferry to Penang (1,20 RM) and the Rapid Penang buses wait at the ferry exit.

#5 Posted: 15/6/2011 - 00:01

• boonping

Joined Travelfish
    9th July, 2012

if you travel by Train may need 7 hours , if you travel by bus need 4 hours. The Latest price for bus ticket from KL to Penang is RM31. That all i know .. for more information you can Online google to search the information ...

#6 Posted: 11/7/2012 - 01:22

• klt019

Joined Travelfish
    11th July, 2012

I'd say it would be 5 hours by bus. A few weeks ago I drove from KL to Penang took 4 hours including some cheeky speeding over the 110 limit. I've also done the plane journey between the two places which is also very painless, the flights under 1 hour.

#7 Posted: 11/7/2012 - 08:47

• moer2237

Click here to learn more about moer2237
    Joined Travelfish
    20th April, 2010
    Location Malaysia

There's no train from Penang island, so you'll need to go to Butterworth to grap the train to KL. One more option, you can give a try is via flight. Frankly the flight fare is getting more competitive esp the low cost carrier. It's really worth investing a bit more & you'll safe lots of time plus the comfort.

#8 Posted: 13/7/2012 - 21:17

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.