Flag of Malaysia

Malaysia forum

Bukit Bintang OR Chinatown

• amz155

Joined Travelfish
    30th August, 2006

I'm trying to find a place to stay in Kuala Lumpur for 2 nights after our international arrival from Canada.

Can anyone help me narrow it down to either the Bukit Bintang area OR Chinatown?

We are looking for something that's well located to night markets, food stalls (for night) and well located for sight seeeing within KL during the day. Also, we'd like a room for two adults for about ~$35USD (less would be better, lol).

I've read about Tune, Grocer's Inn, etc. but I'd like to make sure we are staying in the right neighbourhood first and then pick the actual place.

Thanks.

#1 Posted: 31/5/2011 - 02:04

• Advertisement

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Total reviews: 53
    Places visited:
    At least 48

Honestly, I thought Chinatown was a bit of a tourist spot while BB was the cosmopolitanism central business district where tourism meets day-to-day life. Chinatown has an older feel and is better for a budget, BB is luxury shopping and nightlife . . . both are pretty well connected and not too far from each other anyway so it isn't a big deal which-ever you choose.

If you want a convenient place for nightlife I'd say stay in BB and visit Chinatown one day/evening, if you want a budget place to stay then stay in Chinatown and go spend one night in BB for expensive drinks. Because of this - with your budget - it may be that you'll actually get a nicer place in Chinatown.

#2 Posted: 31/5/2011 - 07:08

• amz155

Joined Travelfish
    30th August, 2006

Hmmmm...we aren't into nightlife, expensive drinks or upscale shopping. We are more like beer at a plastic table on a plastic chair, night market, local beer type people.

Maybe I should focus on Chinatown?

#3 Posted: 31/5/2011 - 07:50

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Places visited:
    At least 48

For plastic table eats and drinks check out Jalan Alor food street, mostly Chinese food from what I experienced there, but head a little north and you come across some open air Malay and Indian food spots. Also - check out the thread http://www.travelfish.org/board/post/malaysia/14069_hotels-in-kuala-lumper for similar discussion.

#4 Posted: 31/5/2011 - 17:01

• christay2009

Joined Travelfish
    8th February, 2009
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 4

I'd stay in Bukit Bintang. There is quite a large hawker street-food type road in this area right near to where I stayed at 'Red Palm' (I liked this place a lot). It was about 5-10 minute walk - Thai/Chinese-Malay food. There are various restaurants dotted around too, local and cheap. Just ask at the place you stay.

I would also recommend eating in the food halls of some of the big malls. Unlike the UK, where food hall means the worst food imaginable (mostly) they are actually really good and inexpensive. Many Malaysians eat there on their lunch breaks. I can't recall the one I went to a few times but, again, was about 10 minutes from Red Palm.

As Caseyprich mentions, you are not too far away either way.

I definately, 100% recommend trying a 'roadside burger' too - essentially just a small cart that sells burgers. They are around and about. I may have had a few beers but it still ranks as one of the best burgers I've ever had. Especially the one that gets wrapped in an egg. Wow.

#5 Posted: 31/5/2011 - 17:33

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Places visited:
    At least 48

One of the better food-courts is in Pavilion Mall, just go to the first sub-floor (or basement as we like to call it back home). In the back part of the food mall are plenty of great Malay style "stands". This is a really great lunch option for a really good price. One corner of the big complex is where Jalan Bukit Bintang intersects with Jalan Raja Chulan - very close to Jalan Sultan Ismail.

#6 Posted: 31/5/2011 - 20:57

• amz155

Joined Travelfish
    30th August, 2006

I checked Red Palm on the hostelworld website and it says they are booked for the dates we need (Sep 5-8). Darn. The other top rated places on hostelworld include Reggae 1, Reagge 2, BackHome Kuala Lumpur, Matahari Lodge. But I haven't yet checked where these are located.

#7 Posted: 1/6/2011 - 01:09

• christay2009

Joined Travelfish
    8th February, 2009
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 4

Caseyprich, is that the one with the big fountain outside on of the entrances? really well lit up in the evenings? Maybe some pink in there ... (fuzzy memory) If so I ate in there a few times. Even my Malaysian friend took me there to meet his Malaysian friends.

Amz155 - I wouldn't worry too much about location. Just find a hostel and go for it. I just liked where Red Palm was because you can walk from KL Sentral and it seemed to be well placed for everything. Even so, KL was pretty easy to navigate. I went around on foot mostly anyway.

#8 Posted: 1/6/2011 - 01:37

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Places visited:
    At least 48

there were a number of ways into that mall - we usually went in a side door as we we located in that general direction for our conference . . . i seem to recall a serious fountain outside on of the main entrances though, near a little atrium walk with western style restaurants.

#9 Posted: 1/6/2011 - 06:30

• rosalindcay-
    ci

Joined Travelfish
    1st June, 2011

Bukit bintang is the best place to stay. There are shopping malls, digital malls, hawker foods, pubs, etc around that area. There are many budget hotels there as well. Moving around is also very convenient with the LRT.

#10 Posted: 1/6/2011 - 13:25

• Advertisement

• Alec

Joined Travelfish
    2nd June, 2011

Hi Amz155

I think both locations China town or Bukit Bintang are suitable locations. Both are located well in the downtown core of KL. China town will be closer to Merdeka Square area, while Bukit Bintang will be closer to KLCC area. Both locations are quite accessible by the subway train or LRT as well. It is possible to walk from China town to Bukit Bintang, will probably take 20 mins by foot, so their not too far apart from each other. The entire China town strip has various hawker stands serving Chinese food, while at night time on Jalan Alor in Bukit Bintang, you will see stalls serving seafood ranging from Chinese, Malay, and even Thai styles.

Cheers hope this helps you out abit, and enjoy your trip to KL!

Travel. Eat. Drink. Explore.
    www.alectravelguide.com

#11 Posted: 2/6/2011 - 21:43

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.