Flag of Malaysia

Malaysia forum

Motor Bike trip through Malaysia

• samuijimmy

Joined Travelfish
    9th June, 2011
    Location Canada

I live in Thailand and thinking of doing a motor bike trip down into Malaysia in July... (my own bike.... will get necessary paper work before hand! )

Just wondering if anyone has done motor bike trips around the Malaysia?

I know the roads in southern Thailand are generally very good (main highways & bi ways)... Would I be correct in assuming roads (at least the main roads in Malaysia would much the same?....)

I hate bus trips, as you pass so many interesting spots, where you just cannot stop.... and get that "perfect shot" with the camera!

I have no particular places in mind yet, except certainly the Cameron Highlands, no particular time limit either ... so any suggestions as to what to go see would be useful, more country or beach areas than "big cities" although I will go to KL.

I'll cross the border on west side, going to Butterworth area.... Penang, been there done that, several years ago...

En route accommodation a factor, can one find "guest houses" bungalows etc fairly easily and cheaply along the highways (towns obviously!) ? I am not into five star resorts etc!

Suggestions appreciated!

#1 Posted: 9/6/2011 - 21:48

• Advertisement

• AbgAcid

Click here to learn more about AbgAcid
    Joined Travelfish
    28th November, 2009
    Location Malaysia
    Total reviews: 21

Hi Jimmy,
    I m a motorbike tourist myself, and have toured thailand , Laos and Burma on my bike. Been to thailand more than a dozen times.

1. Roads in Malaysia are much better, especially the closed system hiway that runsf rom North to South and west to East. The trunk roads fare better too with signboards easily comprehended.

2. How long is your trip? If it is long then, places to visit
    2.1. Georgraphical landmark - Tanjung Piai, (situated in the state of Johor), the southernmost point of the Asian Mainland. Get a certicate here rm5. There are accomodation too nearby and its on water, the straits of melaka app rm90
    2,2 Historical city of Melaka. Large number of old Portugues, dutch and brithish Buildings. Plenty of guest house from rm40.
    2.3 Kuala Lumpur - batu Caves, the National Zoo , Petronas twin tower, and also if you have time visit Putrajaya , an intelegent city which was the brainchild of the previous prime minister Dr. Mahathir.
    2.4 Cameron Hihglands.. enjoy the cool atmosphere, visit the tea plantation or indulge yourself by staying at Ye Oldie Smokehouse.
    2.5 Suggest after cameron highlamds take to road east, new road fantastic view among the hills and come out at Gua Musang, Travel further east towards Marang Terengganu,.. miles miles on beaches along the main road. Then travel Nortward taking the smaller coastal road after Kuala Terengganu to Kg Merang. Again miles of beach scenery and you may stay a night at Pulau (island) Redang. The get away is at Kampong Merang. Or head north to Kuala Besut to get to Pulau (island) Perhentians.
    After Kuala Besut, head west throuhg Jeli - Grik (northern Hiway) Its not really a highway but it has some super scenery here and nice accomodation at the Reservoir lake Temenggor on one of the island Pulau Banding. 4-star though. (above rm200)
    2.6. Head to Penang Island. You may enter the island by ferry or the super long bridge. Chill out at the old Georgetown area. Plenty of tourist and guesthouses here.

Expect higher cost for accomodations in Malaysia. Its not like thailand where they are much much cheaper. Foodwise , it is as cheap as at thiland.
    feel free to ask more. No problem

regards
    AA.

#2 Posted: 16/6/2011 - 20:22

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Vietnam by (motor)bike ... By PrincessSimon on 16 Jun 2009 2 2551 17 Jun 2009
motor bike loops for noobs ... By melmariet on 29 Jan 2013 8 2131 9 Apr 2013
Wanted: Vietnamese motor bike (Laos) ... By DelDavis on 30 Mar 2012 0 573 30 Mar 2012
Vietnam Motor Bike Ride - Ho Chi Minh to Hanoi ... By ozscott on 2 Nov 2009 3 3622 16 Nov 2009