Flag of Malaysia

Malaysia forum

Petronas twin towers--hassle free visit?

• amz155

Joined Travelfish
    30th August, 2006

I've been reading up a bit about Petronas towers. It seems that visiting the towers can be a real ordeal. Between being there early to line up to get a ticket, to the possibility of being able to buy advance tickets, to waiting around all day to see the towers, to the skydeck vs. the observation deck....

....Is it really more effort than its worth?

This will be our first time in KL and we'd love to see the towers and go up to the obesrvation deck and skybridge but is it really worth the wait? We have two days in KL at the start of our trip and a day at the end. I'm not sure our time would be spent wisely if we spent 1/2 to a whole day just to see the Petrons Twin Towers.

#1 Posted: 12/6/2011 - 08:48

• Advertisement

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

Personally, I wouldn't bother. When we got there we found out it wasn't open (can't remember why now, a holiday or something that we didn't know about). They do look impressive from down below - but ultimately, it's just a tower (or two). The day was very hazy and grey, so I don't think it would have looked that fantastic from up there anyhow. If you are into shopping, there is a flash looking shopping centre at the bottom. And there is a near by park that you can wonder around for 1/2 an hour. I don't recall there being much else around of major interest - unless I missed it!

I don't know - KL as a whole, didn't do it for me. I'm sure there are better ways to spend 1/2 day then at the towers, but I can't really suggest an alternative, sorry! Possibly look into the nearby caves (is it Batu caves, or similar?).

Perhaps scroll through the Malaysia forum to get some other ideas and see if anything else grabs your fancy as an alternative.

#2 Posted: 12/6/2011 - 10:29

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

Actually - something that you might find of interest nearby the tower is Kampung Baru. I noticed an article about this just recently posted on TF. http://www.travelfish.org/blogs/kualalumpur/2011/06/09/kampung-baru-kuala-lumpurs-most-traditional-neighbourhood/

To get an idea of where it is - check the map here.

I wish I had known about it when I was there!

#3 Posted: 12/6/2011 - 13:13

• travellings-
    arah

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    23rd March, 2010
    Location Vietnam
    Total reviews: 11
    Places visited:
    At least 87

Posted from within Vietnam.

When we first went to KL, some years back, we intended to go up the towers but, being lazy and jetlagged got there too late. So went ended up going up the Telecom tower (I think that's what it's called) instead. If you're just after views then you could give that a go - no hassle as far as I remember and if you want to splash a bit of cash you can eat up there too. I think it revolves but that could just have been my head.

#4 Posted: 13/6/2011 - 08:25

• Nokka

Joined Travelfish
    6th April, 2009
    Location United Kingdom

I went up the Petronas Tower several years ago. Booked one day and went the next. There was a queue and they showed us a video first to pass the time. Eventually we got to go up, though only to the skybridge. Was it worth it ? Hmmm, it was OK, but a lot of faffing around for not THAT much. Slightly strange feeling looking down below your feet from the skybridge.

KL isn't the world's most exciting city, so not a place to spend more than a couple of days. We quite enjoyed the area near the cricket pitch in the middle, the little India part, Chinatown. Plus its a good place to eat on the street at very good and clean hawker stalls. But beyond that it struggles a little - it just doesn't have the streetlife of other cities, which can make just wandering around such a pleasure.

#5 Posted: 13/6/2011 - 15:49

• Alec

Joined Travelfish
    2nd June, 2011

HI amz155

I think its not worth the time to wait and wait and wait to go up to the skybridge or observation deck of the Petronas Towers. There's so much other things to see in KL. As an alternative, you can go up the KL Tower instead, and see the skyline from above there. I heard its less hectic there, and you do get a 360 degree view of the KL skyline there!

Cheers!

Providing unbiased, insightful, and useful travel info to Asia!
    www.alectravelguide.com

#6 Posted: 14/6/2011 - 13:40

• christay2009

Joined Travelfish
    8th February, 2009
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 4

Just go for it! What's an hour stood in line/queuing? As long as you're not stood there alone it is no big deal. We actually met some pretty nice people in that line.

I certainly didn't spend "half a day" there either. Think we arrived at 7:15 (opens at 8?) and we managed to go up around 8:20ish.

I agree it isn't EXPERIENCE-OF-A-LIFE-TIME-AMAZING but I would still go. I guess you could look into the alternatives suggested above...

Pros and Cons! :)

#7 Posted: 14/6/2011 - 15:52

• ChangesInLo-
    ng

Joined Travelfish
    6th April, 2012
    Location Earth

You do NOT have to get up early for tickets to the Petronas Towers. If you have some flexibility in your schedule you can show up later in the day. Our visit to the observation deck was one of the more organized tall building visits we've been on. There's more about our visit and how we avoided having to get up early for a ticket at: http://www.changesinlongitude.com/visiting-the-petronas-towers/

Cheers!
    Larissa and Michael
    "Changes In Longitude"

#8 Posted: 6/4/2012 - 06:39

• tyler

Joined Travelfish
    7th December, 2010
    Location Canada
    Places visited:
    At least 71

Was just in KL for a couple of nights and wanted to see the towers. Arrived at about 10am to purchase tickets but they were already sold out. This might be because the weekend was very busy with the F1. So I chose to go to the KL tower instead. Great 360 degree view and if you want to spend a bit of money the restaurant offers dinner there as well - I think it starts at 68 MR. There was no queue when I arrived but the line was huge when I left. I think the ticket cost me 30MR (or 50!) and I was finished in about an hour. Your ticket can also include a visit to the "zoo" or a go in the F1 simulator. I was too late for the simulator (closed at 3) and the cages in the zoo are small.

#9 Posted: 6/4/2012 - 10:01

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Tell me about Petronas towers ... By yomanvin on 6 Nov 2012 4 1225 6 Dec 2012
The twin towers or Thai hotel ... By Lecker on 18 May 2006 3 1750 19 May 2006