Flag of Malaysia

Malaysia forum

3,5 Weeks Malaysia 22.07. - 19.08, need Tips for Itinerary and general questions

• nochnbier

Joined Travelfish
    27th October, 2010

Hi There!

I will visit Malaysia for 3,5 Weeks with my Girlfriend this summer.
    We dont want to "rush" things, since we're not that immune to humid heat (e.g. we won't be hopping on and of busses every day to "see as much as possible"). We want to see nature and culture, but we wont do heavy-duty-trecking (i.e. overnight-stay in the jungle, daytreks should be fine however)

The following stops are decided for now:

KL 2 nights at the beginning
    Taman Negara or Cameron Highlands (not sure yet)
    BorneoMalaysia
    Perenthians for snorkelling (3-4 days)
    Final days in Melaka (read that its only 2hr drive to the KL-Airport).

First question: do you think it's possible to do a malaysia-tour with a suitcase rather than a backpack (my girlfriend doesnt own one)? I travelled Thailand and Vietnam, and the most I've carried my backpack was about 150meters to a bus or taxistation... but the streets suck for a trolley.

Second: Should we add or discard any of the above stops? How much time would you recommend for each of them? Should we add Georgetown? What is an absolute must-see?

Also, we are vegetariens, but i read it should be no problem in Malaysia. We also want to take a cooking class, is Melaka a good place for this?

Thanks a lot in advance!

Richie

#1 Posted: 20/6/2011 - 14:20

• Advertisement

• tyler

Joined Travelfish
    7th December, 2010
    Location Canada
    Places visited:
    At least 71

Hey Richie,
    I spent more than 3 1/2 months in Peninsular Malaysia and Borneo and loved it. Your plan is achievable but your might want to change the order...Maybe start in Kota Kinabalu 1-2 days...Mabul Island 2-3 days (some of the best snorkelling in Asia!), Kinibatangan river basin 2-3 days (some jungle trekking -wild orangutans)..fly to KL 2 days... Melaka 2 days...Cameron highlands 2-3 days (quite cool temperature wise!) Then you decide between Perhentians (depends on when your going) Penang (wicked food - great China town) Georgetown (didn't do much for me! but each to his own) and Langkawi (quite touristy but nice if you've never been there! awesome tram ride)...seeing as KL is in the middle of it all you'll have to back track somewhere along the line but Malaysia is very easy to travel by bus, train and taxi - I backpack - but saw many people with luggage everywhere...and yup, struggling down the roads!
    Depending on time - must see's
    - kinibatangan river
    - Mabul
    - Pinnacles in Sarawak (Kuching is a cool city)
    -gunung mulu national park - caves
    - street food in KL and Kuching..hell..everywhere!
    -view of Mt. Kinabalu from Kundasang
    I am not sure but imagine you can get a cooking class anywhere but I can't recommend one. Just relax and enjoy. You'll probably find Malaysia safer than Thai or Viet Nam...I was hitch hiking in Borneo - no problem.
    For a twist try checking out the sabahtourism.org website for a homestay in the kinibatangan -incredible experience!
    Hope this helps a bit, have a great trip!
    Ty
    Oh! If you see wild apes - skip the sanctuaries, and Melaka didn't do much for me but like I said...

#2 Posted: 21/6/2011 - 12:10

• Alec

Joined Travelfish
    2nd June, 2011

Hi Richie;

One thing to take note. Melaka is about 2 hours from KL airport, only if there is no traffic. Usually around the KL area, it is notorious for bad traffic, especially during the rush hours. So do ensure you factor an extra hour or so in the travel time, to ensure you reach the airport on time (in case there is traffic)

Cheers!

Providing unbiased, insightful, and up to date travel info to Asia!
    www.alectravelguide.com

#3 Posted: 24/6/2011 - 20:04

• AbgAcid

Click here to learn more about AbgAcid
    Joined Travelfish
    28th November, 2009
    Location Malaysia
    Total reviews: 21

Hi Richie,
    1. For the nature of you suggested route, I suggest leave the suitcase at home.
    2. You schedule is doable,
    3. Last days at Melaka should be fine. From Melaka you dont need to pass Kuala Lumpur to get to KLIA. The airport is approximately 100 kilomters away and with the expressway that goes straight to the airport from melaka,you will be there in no time.

regards
    AA

#4 Posted: 27/6/2011 - 20:40

• childly1979

Joined Travelfish
    27th October, 2010

Hey Richie,
    Perhentian Island is on the East coast of Peninsular, so it's not recommended to go at the end of the year ( I'm not sure ur summer time is during June or December). The reason is the tide of sea is higher on East coast at that time and that area will come to almost a month of rainy season.
    For Borneo, Mt. Kinabalu and Mulu Caves should not be missed. Other suggestion is Bario besides those mentioned above.

regards,
    childly

#5 Posted: 30/6/2011 - 09:25

• AbgAcid

Joined Travelfish
    28th November, 2009
    Location Malaysia

Chidly,

I think you are confused. The tittle says the date.
    AA

#6 Posted: 30/6/2011 - 15:53

• AbgAcid

Joined Travelfish
    28th November, 2009
    Location Malaysia

sorry double posted.
    Edited.

#7 Posted: 30/6/2011 - 15:54

• nochnbier

Joined Travelfish
    27th October, 2010

Hi there,
    first of all, thanks for the answers!

Again, I have some questions:
    1. We arrive in KL in the morning. Would it make sense to fly over to Kuching on that day and put KL to the end of the journey (check out the itinerary below)?
    2. We might not have the right clothing for the climate, so we wanted to shop the needed stuff in Malaysia (should be a lot cheaper there also), is Kuching ok for shopping?
    3. Which Island on the east coast would you recommend for relaxing / snorkelling? Perhentians, Redang or Tioman?

Time is running low now, so we did a lot more reading and put together a little itinerary now:

23rd of July: arrive in Kuchingin the evening (after approx. 24hr journey)
    24. Relax and shop
    25. Daytrip: Mangroves
    26. Daytrip: Pulau Satang Besar (Turtles)
    27. Daytrip to Wind or Fairy Cave?
    28. Daytrip Bako Nationalpark
    29. Kubah Nationalpark

30. Fly to KL, then bus to Cameron Highlands (is this possible?)
    31. check out the Highlands

1. travel to Penang/Georgetown
    2. Penang
    3. Penang
    4. Penang

5. Travel to Taman Negara
    6. Taman Negara
    7. Taman Negara

8. Travel to (insert your favourite eastcoast island here)
    9.island / snorkel / relax / dive
    10.island / snorkel / relax / dive
    11.island / snorkel / relax / dive
    12. island / snorkel / relax / dive

13.Travel to Melaka (how...?)
    14. Melaka

15. head to KL
    16. KL
    17. KL
    18.flight back home

Any suggestions / comments? Too cramped or fine?

and what's your opinion on booking ahead?

Thanks again
    Richie

#8 Posted: 9/7/2011 - 04:02

• alloneornone

Joined Travelfish
    8th July, 2011
    Location Earth

Hi Ritchie,

Kuching would be fine for shopping, however you won't find the variety you would in KL. There's quite a few shopping malls; many are attached to the big hotels near the riverside, such as the Pullman or Riverside Majestic and house big brands such as Guess, Calvin Klein etc. I didn't go into any of these so can't advise on prices.

In a week there I didn't come across anything like the inexpensive clothes markets you find in Thailand's tourist areas, but there are shops with cheap Korean style clothes in the Hills Shopping Centre and behind McDonalds on Jalan Abell if your girlfriend is small and into kitsch ;)

Personally, I think KL would be better as you could do it just as cheaply (if not more so) and all in one night by hitting the sales racks at the massive Zara/Topshop/H&M's there. There's so much to do in Kuching that I'd feel I was missing out shopping there whereas in KL the reverse is true...

#9 Posted: 14/7/2011 - 10:56

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Burma Itinerary Tips? I have 2 weeks. ... By jessieo on 26 May 2009 4 17500 6 Aug 2011
Itinerary 3 weeks Vietnam & questions ... By VietRoos on 9 Dec 2013 5 1070 19 Dec 2013
General tips needed!! ... By california on 18 Jun 2013 2 831 28 Jun 2013
Burma in October, general tips ... By heddenswest on 21 Jul 2011 10 3563 6 Aug 2011
Bali & Thailand general questions ... By mitchell456 on 1 Oct 2009 16 7075 5 Oct 2009
Itinerary for 2 weeks in Malaysia... ... By fontbleu on 26 Feb 2012 1 1979 26 Feb 2012
Itinerary Malaysia 4 weeks in April ... By stef83 on 15 Mar 2012 0 1570 15 Mar 2012
2 weeks in Malaysia - itinerary advice please ... By slordan on 2 Sep 2010 5 7131 11 Sep 2010
Help Itinerary 4 weeks Thailand/Laos/Vietnam/Malaysia ... By guybrush on 25 Jan 2012 7 3904 23 Feb 2012
Route advice; 4 weeks Peninsular Malaysia and 3 weeks East Malaysia ... By GhostOfTomJoad on 31 Jan 2013 2 3001 3 Feb 2013