Flag of Malaysia

Malaysia forum

Exchanging Pounds and Buying Sandals

• christay2009

Joined Travelfish
    8th February, 2009
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 4

I will be in Malaysia soon enough and was wondering if you can exchange British pounds there easily enough? I would prefer to take pounds rather than change into Dollars first, then Ringgit. I seem to recall seeing exchange rates for pounds at all the places in KL but not sure on the rates.

Also, I want to buy some TEVA sandals but I'm having trouble getting the ones I want in my size in the UK. I have small feet (UK7) and it seems all the shops sell out of these really quickly or just don't bother getting stock in. I could buy them online but you never know, I might even be a 6 (I really hope I am not). I guess they would be about the same price in Malaysia (?) which Is fine, it is more about size than price...

Could I pick a pair up in KL? If so, any suggestions as to where I go?

Thanks again!

#1 Posted: 30/6/2011 - 18:57

• Advertisement

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

Can't help with the sandals but there are loads of shops there so it shouldn't be much of a problem. Very big feet are usually more difficult to find shoes for than dainty small feet in Asia. ;-)

Sterling is still considered a major world currency (for some reason) and you always lose money when you change it, so no point at all in changing pounds into dollars first.

Money changers (as opposed to banks) have the best rates in Malaysia usually in my experience (which isn't all that vast). Check out several as their rates vary. Changing English pounds should be no problem. Scottish pounds ARE a problem though... I tried to change some in BKK once and had a great deal of trouble doing it. Banks seemed to consider them in the same way as they consider kyat or kip or dong...or monopoly money.

Managed to get them changed in the end (at a money changer) but got a much lower rate than for English pounds even though they have the same face value as English pounds in the UK.

Also, although 100 pound notes are regarded with great suspicion in the UK, you do get a better rate for them than 50s or 20s abroad.

#2 Posted: 1/7/2011 - 02:33

• goonistik

Joined Travelfish
    7th January, 2010

Yes. There are stores that stock Teva in KL.

http://www.teva.com/my/customerservice/storeLocator.aspx

#3 Posted: 1/7/2011 - 08:10

• childly1979

Joined Travelfish
    27th October, 2010

While in Malaysia, try to get exchange for Ringgit at those in Bukit Bintang area, especially at the front of Sungei Wang Plaza, and don't forget to compare the rate with Maybank and the other one next to the front entrance door of Sungei Wang Plaza. Those have the best rate in Kuala Lumpur.

#4 Posted: 1/7/2011 - 09:21

• christay2009

Joined Travelfish
    8th February, 2009
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 4

Thanks All,

Looks like I'll be bringing a wad of fifties with me then!

SBE... there is surely no 100 pound note in England!?? If there is, I have never heard of or seen one! I worked in a bank for a bit too :)

As far as sandals go, I will probably try to get them in KL if I can't find them here first. I guess TEVA is not the only brand out there.

#5 Posted: 1/7/2011 - 15:25

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

LOL you're right Christay. Sorry I meant 20s and 50s! I'm a Brit but live in the Euro zone where we have 100 euro notes (and 500 euro notes too, not that I've ever seen one of those).

To me 50 quid is not a huge note but none of the shops in the UK seemed very keen on accepting them when I was there last year. Everyone used 20 pound notes and a large stash of those would be quite bulky to carry around. Money changers (unlike UK shops) actually prefer 50s.

#6 Posted: 1/7/2011 - 15:49

• zetty155

Joined Travelfish
    13th December, 2013

SBE hi there can i know where n which money changer that u able to change in malaysia because i got few notes of scottish pound and i still not able to change it yet,,thanz

#7 Posted: 13/12/2013 - 12:25

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.