Flag of Malaysia

Malaysia forum

Malaysian Borneo

• InevitableN-
    omad

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2011

Hi Everyone.

I'm a 23 year old male from Belfast. I'm booking a last minute trip to Malaysian Borneo for one month tomorrow. I hope to arrive on Sunday 31st July / Monday 1st August.

I spent some time travelling mainland Malaysia last year and so am really excited about fulfilling my most regretful not see. However, as it's so last minute I haven't had time to make much plans. All I know is that I'm flying to Kota Kinabalu where I intend to use as a base to explore Sabah. Following this, I think I want to move on to Kuching and use this as a base to explore Sarawak. Does this sound like an ok idea or is there a better way to do it? Also, is travel from Sabah to Sarawak easy to do?

I haven't booked any hostels yet. Would this be a problem? I have looked online and there appears to be a lot of options, but would anyone recommend a specific hostel? Also, should I book this and my subsequent hostel in Sarawak in advance?

Any thoughts on daily budget. I'm happy to live in budget hostels and really enjoy the experience, as much as the taste of hawker food, but wouldn't mind splashing out every now and then on trips / tours and a beer or two in the evening.

Sorry for all the questions. I'm buying a guide book tomorrow, so hopefully this will answer most of them. Any help will be hugely appreciated. Oh and if there are any other solo travelers in the area during August, get in touch and it would be nice to meet you! Thanks! :)

#1 Posted: 25/7/2011 - 07:27

• Advertisement

• childly1979

Joined Travelfish
    27th October, 2010

Hi there,
    Just seen your message in the forum and today is 1st of Aug.
    I would recommend you to use AirAsia to fly from Kota Kinabalu to Miri in Sarawak as usually air ticket for this route is normally cheaper than Kota Kinabalu to Kuching. Then, you can start from Miri and passing through Bintulu and Sibu to Kuching by bus. And flight from Kuching to Kuala Lumpur is much cheaper comparing Miri to Kuala Lumpur, and there are three options of flight to fly from Kuching to KL which are Air Asia, Malaysia Airline and Fire Fly. Here, as I guess you flight back home departs from Kuala Lumpur.
    For hostel, might be a problem in Kota Kinabalu. I wish u Good Luck.
    For Sarawak, Miri has full house of the hostels usually during the weekends. For Kuching, u better check out and make a booking. Try luck for a budget price with Tune Hotels that has branches in Kota Kinabalu and Kuching.
    If you wish for goin to Mulu from Miri, for a budget place, contact this guy Mr Juwin with handphone number +60128526065. I hope he's still using this number and I'm not too sure whether he can speak much English as I spoke to him in Bahasa last time while visiting to Mulu.

#2 Posted: 1/8/2011 - 09:13

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Motorbiking in Borneo/Malaysian Borneo ... By t1m0l1v3r on 23 Apr 2012 1 1953 23 Apr 2012
How to get from Indonesian Borneo to Malaysian Borneo ... By savorygal on 21 Jul 2011 1 4040 25 Jul 2011
Malaysian Borneo ... By iciclesecret on 2 Sep 2011 3 2651 14 Sep 2011
Travelling Across Malaysian Borneo ... By murrin85 on 28 Sep 2011 1 1582 28 Sep 2011
From Philippines to Malaysian Borneo ... By Sannes on 9 Oct 2009 8 13502 6 Dec 2009
Malaysian Borneo Itinerary ... By Sundancekid4 on 4 Jul 2014 4 514 6 Jul 2014
Malaysian Borneo Itinerary help ... By finnreynolds on 4 Nov 2013 0 711 4 Nov 2013
Borneo (Malaysian part) - Islands ... By epether on 29 Jan 2012 2 1525 13 Feb 2012
Peninsular Malaysia vs Malaysian Borneo permits ... By jmcentee on 6 Jan 2010 0 3894 6 Jan 2010