Flag of Malaysia

Malaysia forum

Port to Port: Tioman to Redang - where to stop?

• starfish

Joined Travelfish
    23rd March, 2009
    Total reviews: 2

Hello there!

Just a week away from my trip and there a few bits that need ironing out! We are planning on traveling from Tioman on the 18th August and need to be at the port for our transfer to Redang on the 20th August.

I have found an overnight bus from Mersing to Kuala Terengganu on transnational buses. However, what is there to do in Kuala Terengganu for a day and night? I did look to stop over at Cherating, however with a 4 hour bus and then busing the next day I did not feel like this was a viable option.

Has anyone got any alternative suggestions of where to stay/stop given that it is a rather awkward amount of time!

Thank you

#1 Posted: 2/8/2011 - 19:10

• Advertisement

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

Here's one from left field.
    Why not bail out at MARANG (not Merang) which is about 15km south of Kuala Terannganu and go out to lovely Pulau Kapas which is the nicest island I have visited these past 10 years (and I have stayed on dozens).
    Only 7km from the mainland, gorgeous beaches all of which can be walked withing 30 minutes - about a dozen budget/flashpacker resorts with a few chalets going into midrange.

To get to pier, go to crossroads traffic lights - turn right, walk down the hill, turn right again. 400m total from lights. Several boat companies with trips maybeeach 2 hours.
    Qimy Chalet is one of several nice places to stay.

Hey, the books say Marang is a nice enough place to spend time. There are some places to stay on the small hill just north of the pier area. The town beaches look okay. Maybe do a daytrip to Kapas.

#2 Posted: 13/8/2011 - 17:15

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Port Dickson - a OK beach? ... By busylizzy on 28 Sep 2010 7 4959 4 Oct 2010
Ho Chi Minh Harbour ( Port ) ... By albaby on 21 May 2010 0 1172 21 May 2010
Vietnam VOA - Port of Entry ... By techuk on 1 Mar 2012 1 2003 1 Mar 2012
Port Dickson or Pulau Sibu. Where would you go? ... By imranarish on 18 Sep 2012 2 1150 14 Oct 2012
Genting Highlands To Port Dickson How To Travel ? ... By JeniferRobert on 5 Oct 2012 0 879 5 Oct 2012
kuala lumpur to port blair (andaman and nicobar islands) ? ... By narsareddya on 29 Nov 2012 0 1045 29 Nov 2012
Double-Entry Visa (Vietnam) - Experience with port of entry/date ... By caseyprich on 30 Sep 2012 3 2269 30 Sep 2012