Flag of Malaysia

Malaysia forum

From Kota Kinabalu to Balikpapan - How to do it?

• PeterJW

Joined Travelfish
    30th August, 2011

Normal 0 false false false MicrosoftInternetExplorer4 st1\:*{behavior:url(#ieooui) } /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0cm; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;}I will be leaving UK around 14th Jan. I have thoughtof going to Kuala Lumpar for a few days and then flying to Kota Kinabalu. Fromthere I would like to head from the Malaysian side across the border toKalimantan and make my way via the west coast and down to Balikpapanto fly to Ujung Pandang.

Pictures I have see of the island on Google map along with the wildlife whichmakes Borneo so famous means I really want to go (especially the saltwater andfresh lake of Labuan Cermin). However, does this tripseem possible on the public transport available or will I just end up spendinga fortune on private hire drivers? I not so bothered about the bad time of yearfor weather, but would be gutted if I ended up spending £50 a day on transportwhen there will be 1000's of other stunning places across Asiawhere I will be spending £10 - 30 a day for everything. I intend to livecheaply and after this make my way through Indonesiato Vietnam, Cambodia Laosand Thailand.I should have about 6k to take with me and I have no time limit - when it goesit goes. I may go to Indiaand Nepalafter that. Any advice will be really appreciated. I haven't booked flights yetbut I will definitely be going in January as that’s when my house contractturns out. I can't wait!

#1 Posted: 30/8/2011 - 19:01

• Advertisement

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
From Kota Kinabalu to Balikpapan - How to do it? ... By PeterJW on 30 Aug 2011 0 2000 30 Aug 2011
Kuching to Kota Kinabalu by bus ... By fox80 on 16 Jun 2010 1 5159 11 Dec 2010
september 21 to 26 (kota kinabalu or singpore or both) ... By nasmej11 on 26 May 2010 0 1047 26 May 2010
Travelling to Kota Kinabalu and Mabul Island ... By ainnossro on 24 Sep 2012 0 905 24 Sep 2012