Photo: Kayaking Langkawi's mangroves.

Malaysia forum

From Kota Kinabalu to Balikpapan - How to do it?

Posted by PeterJW on 30/8/2011 at 19:01

Normal 0 false false false MicrosoftInternetExplorer4 st1\:*{behavior:url(#ieooui) } /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0cm; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;}I will be leaving UK around 14th Jan. I have thoughtof going to Kuala Lumpar for a few days and then flying to Kota Kinabalu. Fromthere I would like to head from the Malaysian side across the border toKalimantan and make my way via the west coast and down to Balikpapanto fly to Ujung Pandang.

Pictures I have see of the island on Google map along with the wildlife whichmakes Borneo so famous means I really want to go (especially the saltwater andfresh lake of Labuan Cermin). However, does this tripseem possible on the public transport available or will I just end up spendinga fortune on private hire drivers? I not so bothered about the bad time of yearfor weather, but would be gutted if I ended up spending £50 a day on transportwhen there will be 1000's of other stunning places across Asiawhere I will be spending £10 - 30 a day for everything. I intend to livecheaply and after this make my way through Indonesiato Vietnam, Cambodia Laosand Thailand.I should have about 6k to take with me and I have no time limit - when it goesit goes. I may go to Indiaand Nepalafter that. Any advice will be really appreciated. I haven't booked flights yetbut I will definitely be going in January as that’s when my house contractturns out. I can't wait!

#1 PeterJW has been a member since 30/8/2011. Posts: 19

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.