Flag of Malaysia

Malaysia forum

2 weeks in Malaysia

• fretchard

Joined Travelfish
    12th September, 2011

Hello.

My boyfriend and i are planning to stay in Malaysia for 2 weeks, after a year in Australia. We plan to try and see quite alot of the area, starting off in KL.

We are having 2 weeks in Bali prior to this, so beaches wont neccessarily be a priority. Therefore would like to try and see as much as we can of Malaysia, travelling around and staying in different spots, such as Lang Kawi, Penang etc.

What do you all suggest?

Thanks

#1 Posted: 13/9/2011 - 07:39

• Advertisement

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

I haven't seen a huge amount of Malaysia recently other than KL and Melaka - but I would recommend Melaka (also spelled Malacca). It's a small town with a bit of heritage, interesting nooks and crannies to explore, a fabulous food hall, a kind of kitsch central area by the church (enjoy a flower laden cyclo ride around town if you dare) .

Cameron Highlands was also nice, although I haven't been there for 20 years.

#2 Posted: 13/9/2011 - 07:45

• chinarocks

Joined Travelfish
    17th June, 2011

As you probably know Malaysia is really two countries - Peninsular and Borneo. First off I would say, just stick to one or the other in a two-week timeframe (flying across to Kinabalu is a waste of time just for 2-3 days or something, you'll end up seeing neither side properly). From what you say above, it looks like Peninsular Malaysia is your preference.

Two weeks = four places max.

You said you didn't really want beaches after Bali but yet have included Langkawi. If you do want a beach resort then look into going to the Perhentians as a (cheaper) alternative.

KL: 2-3 days
    Penang: 4 days
    Perhentians: 4 days
    Cameron Highlands: 3-4 days

#3 Posted: 13/9/2011 - 16:22

• tyler

Joined Travelfish
    7th December, 2010
    Location Canada
    Places visited:
    At least 71

Hey Fretchard,
    You've been given great advice so far. Peninsular Malaysia is very easy to travel (so is Borneo) so you'll have no trouble getting anywhere you want. I was in Malaysia 2 years ago for close to 3 months and loved it all - given the choice I'd go back to Borneo before the mainland.
    Some thoughts...
    ? use one of your days in KL to get to Melaka
    ? Chinatown in Penang is a cool place to stay - great food, different accom
    ? What time of year are you going? The Perhantians can have some tough weather from January to April.
    I loved the Cameron Highlands. Feels like a different climate, the fresh strawberry ice cream is killer!!!
    Have fun!

#4 Posted: 14/9/2011 - 01:24

• fretchard

Joined Travelfish
    12th September, 2011

Hey Guys!

Thanks for all the advice!

We are heading there end of November time, early December.

Four places sound roughly what we were looking for. We'l start doing some more reseach now!

Thanks again

Fretchard!

#5 Posted: 16/9/2011 - 10:33

• tantan

Joined Travelfish
    23rd March, 2011

Hey Fretchard,
    Im from Malaysia,if you would like to visit Cameron Highlands,make sure to go to Gua Tempurung day trip also,feel free to hook up with me when you are in Malaysia......
    tt

#6 Posted: 16/9/2011 - 20:12

• cliona

Joined Travelfish
    12th October, 2011

Malaysia is the most fascinating tourist destination to visit.This beautiful country offers two different experience, Peninsula and Borneo. The Peninsula offers you truly diverse cultures of Chinese, Malay and Indian. On the other hand Borneo has many exciting places with wild jungles, granite peaks and many alike that elate visitor's heart.

#7 Posted: 17/10/2011 - 12:00

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Route advice; 4 weeks Peninsular Malaysia and 3 weeks East Malaysia ... By GhostOfTomJoad on 31 Jan 2013 2 2737 3 Feb 2013