Flag of Malaysia

Malaysia forum

Malaysia in Dec - can you help ????

• olashi

Joined Travelfish
    22nd September, 2011

Hi there - would bue really grateful for some help! Am wondering whether to take advantage of some reasonable flights to Malaysia in December and don't have much time to do the research. Could anyone please comment on how it might be to travel as family of 5 (3 adolescent boys) in Malaysia in December. We tend to like less crowded places, and are happy to travel on local buses and trains. Would also like to have some beach time (we are from NZ so have fairly high expectations of beaches!). Went to Thailand two years ago which was a great success so looking for something similar-ish. Would really appreciate help. Thanks.

#1 Posted: 23/9/2011 - 11:59

• Advertisement

• nitewing79

Joined Travelfish
    25th September, 2011

Hello , There are a number of very nice islands in Malaysia. If you do not mind traveling to East Malaysia, the state of Sabah. some of the best well kept islands are there. There is the Sapi Island and Manukan Island. If you are into diving, then Sipadan island is great but there is no resort there, but you may travel by boat for the day.

Other options are at Peninsula Malaysia. You may go to Tioman island. The waters are still very clear. You could fly there from Kuala Lumpur or you could take a 5 hour bus ride and the travel by boat. That might be slightly difficult with 3 kids. If you have further questions or need suggestions please contact me at izzat@igo.my and I would be more than happy to assist. My name is Izzat. Best regards.

#2 Posted: 25/9/2011 - 11:57

• moer2237

Click here to learn more about moer2237
    Joined Travelfish
    20th April, 2010
    Location Malaysia

Yes it is true. East Malaysia beach like Sipadan Island would be paradise. However, just a reminder, Malaysia falls under monsoon winds normally starts from Dec & early March. Meaning Dec + East Malaysia beach is a bad combination.

So the second choice of beach will be on the West Malaysia.(not affected by the monsoon except for Jun - Aug). May be you could try Langkawi. Although it not as good as Sipadan but it's the best for West Malaysia.

All de best.
    Moer Ahmad
    www.mytravel22.com/kuala-lumpur-hotels.html

#3 Posted: 28/9/2011 - 17:48

• tyler

Joined Travelfish
    7th December, 2010
    Location Canada

I was in Sabah and Sarawak 2 years ago for November and December. And west Malaysia for the month of January. The monsoons were never a problem. When the rain did come, it was usually late afternoon and lasted all of 15 minutes or so...To be honest I found it refreshing. The only part of Malaysia that was affected (that time) were the Perhentian Islands. There was quite a bit of flooding and travel was affected.
    Malaysia is actually quite simple to travel. I found the transportation reliable and reasonably close to being on time. Langkawi might be a good choice. The beaches are similar to what you might have seen in Thailand. However, Langkawi is quite developed so that might not work for you. If it doesn't you can always take a boat back to South Thailand!
    If you do find yourself on Langkawi - take the tram to the top of the mountain - the view is spectacular.
    Have fun!

#4 Posted: 29/9/2011 - 11:03

• AbgAcid

Click here to learn more about AbgAcid
    Joined Travelfish
    28th November, 2009
    Location Malaysia
    Total reviews: 21

Regret the boat operators do not operate during the monsoon for the Perhentians and Tioman, or else it would be a splendid holidays on these islands. So options for peninsula Malaysia during the said period are Langkawi and Pangkor. There is a good palce for snrokling amongst the fishes on a little island just off west of Pulau Pangkor, Pulau Giam. Plenty of fish here.

Also what fascinate me during our visit here was the hornfills. These are wild birds from the forest that come down at 5 pm everyday for feeding session. It was made possible by an incredible resort owner who had been doing it for 9 years. These birds can be hand fed now..

you may see here, use google translate if you like to read the text. We did our holidays on bicycles.

http://malaysianbikers.com.my/forum/index.php/topic,74765.160.html

have fun
    AA

#5 Posted: 1/10/2011 - 18:09

• cliona

Joined Travelfish
    12th October, 2011

Its true that Malaysia trip wouldn't be complete without some beach time on the island. All the beaches in Malaysia are spectacular so it is very difficult to say which one is better. As far as I think Tioman turtle island and Perhentian island are the wonderful places. Here you can enjoy dive under water and spot clown fish and sea turtles in the soft sand. Both are the lovely place where you can have fun a couple of days in your Malaysia trip.

#6 Posted: 18/10/2011 - 13:57

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.