Photo: Kayaking Langkawi's mangroves.

Malaysia forum

Travelling Across Malaysian Borneo

Posted by murrin85 on 28/9/2011 at 11:10

I am thinking of traveling across Borneo from Sandakan to Kuching using various buses. Can anybody who has already done this route tell me of their experiences / let me know a reasonable timeframe to do this?

Any comments at all on this route would be really helpful!

#1 murrin85 has been a member since 15/8/2011. Posts: 1

Posted by idreamofdurian on 28/9/2011 at 13:35 TF writer

I did this about 3 1/2 years ago, but the other way (Kuching - Sandakan).

Public buses aren't as regular as in West Malaysia, and this trip was the only time I ever resorted to hitch-hiking (as suggested by locals) - particularly in Brunei.

Time frame depends how many side-trips you want to do... give yourself at least 2 weeks to enjoy each stop and explore some of the parks and jungle.

My route was: Kuching - Bintulu - Miri - Bandar Seri Begawan (Brunei) - Pulau Labuan (missed the last ferry, got stuck here overnight - don't recommend it) - Kota Kinabalu - Ranau (for KK Park) - Sandakan.

#2 idreamofdurian has been a member since 5/9/2008. Location: Singapore. Posts: 576
 Website   Twitter   Flickr  

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.