Flag of Malaysia

Malaysia forum

Planning on Climbing Mt Kilabalu

• Rossigray

Joined Travelfish
    11th October, 2011
    Location United Kingdom

Hi,
    I'm flying out to Kota Kinabalu on the 6th November and was hoping to Climb Mt Kilabalu. Just from looking at a range of information provided on the internet has gotten me a little confused of what I need to arrange prior to arrival.
    Can anybody help and state what is needed to be booked beforehand and what I can book whilst I am there? I already have a hostel booked for my first night. Can I book it all from the hostel or is there a cheaper alternative?
    I'll only be in Borneo for a total of two weeks, if anybody fancies joining me for the climb they're welcome!

Thank you.

#1 Posted: 11/10/2011 - 09:59

• Advertisement

• travellings-
    arah

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    23rd March, 2010
    Location Vietnam
    Total reviews: 11

Posted from within Vietnam.

Hi. You can see my response, and others, to a broader question in this thread:

http://www.travelfish.org/board/post/malaysia/15768_malaysian-borneo

In summary, I don't think there's any price advantage to waiting until you get there to book the trek so if your dates are fixed you might as well sort it before you go.

#2 Posted: 11/10/2011 - 11:05

• enilec

Joined Travelfish
    11th October, 2011

hi there,

you may contact Sutera Sanctuary Lodges (SSL - Reservation Wisma Sabah [ssl.reservation@suteraharbour.com.my]). they have a 3D2N package for the climb which includes accommodation, meals etc.

#3 Posted: 11/10/2011 - 15:15

• imk

Joined Travelfish
    11th October, 2011

Hi Rossigray,
    Permits are now only given to people who have accommodation at Laban Rata rest houses plus 4 permits daily for extreme climbers so booking well in advance is recommended.
    For some more advice, please refer to all the websites about climbing Mount Kinabalu as:
    http://www.climbmtkinabalu.com/
    http://www.climbingmountkinabalu.com/
    http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g298307-d482160-Reviews-Mount_Kinabalu-Kota_Kinabalu_Kota_Kinabalu_District_Sabah.html
    Regards and good luck.

#4 Posted: 11/10/2011 - 17:44

• Rossigray

Joined Travelfish
    11th October, 2011
    Location United Kingdom

Hey thank you for your responses, they're really helpful.
    Do I stay at the Sutera Sanctuary Lodge or am i just booking the tour through them?
    Do I book the lodge separately from the tour? And do you get your permits online, is there a link where i can book online?
    Kind regards

#5 Posted: 12/10/2011 - 18:37

• travellings-
    arah

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    23rd March, 2010
    Location Vietnam

We booked on a two-day trek (the most sensible and usual way to do it unless you're super fit and can go up and down in one day and if you did it in one day you'd miss sunrise which was a highlight) and paid about £100 each including the overnight stay in the huts at Laban Rata and meals but no transport. At the time that was the only option as they had a monopoly on it and I believe that's still the case. Just having looked at their website, they do list fees separately, but they don't list accomodation prices. I think they're being cheeky! Anyway, contact them through the website and ask.

#6 Posted: 12/10/2011 - 19:26

• enilec

Joined Travelfish
    11th October, 2011

hi Rossigray,

you book your tour thru SSL, normally its a 3 days/2 nights package which already includes your accommodation (lodge/hut) for 2 nights and meals for the entire journey.
    do prepare for other misc fees as well, ie. entrance fee, porter fee, mountain guide fee, as these are not included on the package and payable at the Kinabalu Park Headquarters.
    i'm not sure if you can book online but it is advisable to contact them in advance and ask if there's still space available during your period of visit :)

#7 Posted: 16/10/2011 - 17:37

• kiwigirlnz

Joined Travelfish
    17th August, 2011

It is now quoting RM 1,700 for a 2 night package!!! This seems crazy, anyone done it recently and know if this is the right price or if I am being scammed!
    thanks
    Sarah

#8 Posted: 28/11/2011 - 19:46

• travellings-
    arah

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    23rd March, 2010
    Location Vietnam

That does seem really pricey, but I was there over 2 years ago and a lot can change in 2 years. Plus I only did the two day / one night package (about 500RM) and from what I understand the place you stay on the extra night is pricey. We stayed at a guesthouse about 1km from the entrance and it saved us a lot of money.

#9 Posted: 28/11/2011 - 22:33

• kiwigirlnz

Joined Travelfish
    17th August, 2011

Thanks, I can't seem to find a one night package anywhere though!

#10 Posted: 28/11/2011 - 22:37

• Advertisement

• travellings-
    arah

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    23rd March, 2010
    Location Vietnam

Their website is not very user-friendly! Might be worth just writing. We went to their office when we got to Kota Kinabalu but that is a bit of a risk as it does get booked-up. Sorry I can't help more.

#11 Posted: 28/11/2011 - 23:02

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.