Flag of Malaysia

Malaysia forum

Hiking Mt Kinabalu in April 2012?

• DannieB

Joined Travelfish
    24th August, 2011

Hi-

I'm looking into climbing Mt Kinabalu around mid-April 2012 and was wondering if other people would be interested in joining me, most package prices are for bookings with 2 people or more... Lodges fill up pretty fast so I'd like to sort this out asap!

Dannie

#1 Posted: 31/10/2011 - 09:01

• Advertisement

• hura

Joined Travelfish
    21st November, 2011

Posted from within Vietnam.

Hello,
    I'm planing to climb Kinabalu in mid- April 2012 too.
    I'll arrive KK on 14/4/2012 and will start climbing on 15/4, end on 16/4.

This forum has no private message function!
    This is my email:quyennt44@gmail.com

#2 Posted: 21/11/2011 - 21:33

• DannieB

Joined Travelfish
    24th August, 2011

Hi Hura,

I actually ended up booking a 2D1N excursion including the via Ferrata activity (Low's circuit) for March 29th since Mountain Torq will be increasing their prices as of April 1st...

Dannie

#3 Posted: 21/11/2011 - 22:05

• hura

Joined Travelfish
    21st November, 2011

Hi Dannie,

Could you share me where do you stay for the night on mountain?
    Where did you book your tour and how about the fees?

Thx!

#4 Posted: 22/11/2011 - 00:58

• travellings-
    arah

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    23rd March, 2010
    Location Vietnam
    Total reviews: 11
    Places visited:
    At least 87

#5 Posted: 22/11/2011 - 07:15

• DannieB

Joined Travelfish
    24th August, 2011

Hi Hura,

after spending much time on the internet looking for the cheapest tour operator, I booked my climb with ABC Tours:

http://www.mountkinabalu.my/packages.cfm

They were the only tour operator that offers a "basic package" for solo travelers that was affordable in my opinion, as all the other companies had packages that were geared towards travelers booking in pairs. I paid $905 RM for a one night stay in Pendant Hut, Low's peak via Ferrata complete circuit and 2 meals; I do have to pay separately for the park entrance fee, climbing permit, guide (which can be split among other travelers on that day hopefully), transportation and an additional 2 meals; in the end, it will still come out quite cheaper than booking a more "inclusive" tour as a solo traveler or even for a group.

Good luck finding any room at Laban Rata, the mountain lodge that has the most dorm beds... There is absolutely no availability from March to June... I'm getting the feeling that these dorm beds have been "pre-reserved" by a few companies that have monopoly and charge high prices to tourists... Besides, they also have you stay an extra night at the base of the mountain so as to make more money (starting price for 3D2N packages: $1642 RM). The date you're looking at is fully booked at that lodge (check link below):

http://reservations.directwithhotels.com/reservation/noAvail/859/2012-04-12/2012-04-14and2012-04-15/en/0/0/0/0/0

Let me know hot it goes! If your dates are flexible, you can join me on the 29th of March,

Dannie

#6 Posted: 22/11/2011 - 08:24

• hura

Joined Travelfish
    21st November, 2011

Yes, it's said that accommodation in KK is pre-reserved by tour-agencies.

Regret that I booked my flight ticket already so I can not join you.

Have you tried to contact suteraharbour.com.my? It seems cheaper than the one you booked.
    I had information from them and the price for package D 3D2N dorm bed is 609RM, not include fees for park entrance fee, climbing permit, guide.

Package 2D1N can be booked one month before the climbing date only.

#7 Posted: 22/11/2011 - 09:23

• DannieB

Joined Travelfish
    24th August, 2011

Hi Hura,

according to the website of Sutera Sanctuary Lodges, there is no room availability, either for 2D1N or 3D2N packages from March to June (you definitely have to book through a tour operator). Not sure how you got pricing information directly from Sutera Sanctuary Lodges if they are booked for April 15th in first place...

The excursion that I booked does include the complete "Low's peak via Ferrata" activity organized by Mountain Torq (http://www.mountaintorq.com/), which in itself is worth at least ~$300 RM I believe; booking the climb + via Ferrata activity directly through Mountain Torq was quite expensive from what I remember so this is why I decided to go with a different company.

Perhaps you might be able to change your flight dates (?). If you're into hiking as well as climbing, you should definitely check out the via Ferrata activity. ABC Tours also offers a 2D1N Pendant hut stay with a "walk the Torq" introductory activity, this basic package (not including transportation, permit, guide..) is worth $755 RM. Personally, I'm not that interested in spending my money on an extra night stay at the base of the mountain anyway...

Hope this helps!

Dannie

#8 Posted: 22/11/2011 - 09:54

• LJ

Joined Travelfish
    4th January, 2011

I booked and climbed last month with an organisation in Kuching called Escapade Borneo - they managed to get me a 2 d 1 n for 750 myr including the 100 myr climb permit but excluding the guide fee and park entrance, expensive still but cheaper than a lot of them and handy coz I had heard it very hard to get a reply out of the company that hold the beds especially if you cant go into their office. All worked fine (except the damn rain)

#9 Posted: 15/12/2011 - 06:29

• eon

Joined Travelfish
    17th March, 2012

Hello Dannie..
    oh my. im plannning to go there too in mt kinabalu. ive been researching all the highs and lows of prices. whats your recommendation? ill be there by end of week of april. ive been reading your thread and like what you said they will only accept 2D1N for 1 month advance only, my time is running i guess.

#10 Posted: 17/3/2012 - 16:25

• Advertisement

• DannieB

Joined Travelfish
    24th August, 2011

Hi Eon-

as mentioned in this discussion, I've booked my 2D/1N excursion through ABC tours and there was no problem paying via credit card and getting payment confirmation from them. Other tour operators indeed did not accept 2D/1N excursions as you said... I haven't checked the tours offered online recently since mine is booked and paid for already. In my opinion, ABC tours was the best option for me.

Hope you find something and the weather turns out to be nice!

Dannie

#11 Posted: 18/3/2012 - 00:02

• eon

Joined Travelfish
    17th March, 2012

Hey dannie. i have a whole lot of list to share with you but unfortunately looks like you are already done booking. My plan is by arrival i will be going to mount kinabalu for a trek then after the trek head on to for a stay at mabul. is that your only itinerary in kota kinabalu? if you have any fresh ideas for kota kinabalu climb tell me.

#12 Posted: 18/3/2012 - 15:25

• sammathew

Joined Travelfish
    21st March, 2012

When it comes to climbing, Mt Kinabalu is one of best exciting places to perfom the activity. If you want to adore the beauty of the sunrise and sunset, you have choosen the correct destination. Apart from MT Kinabalu, Kinabalu Park is also a good place to visit.

#13 Posted: 23/3/2012 - 09:15

• sookmayyy

Joined Travelfish
    8th January, 2013

Hello , may I enquire for the availability and rates for 2 malaysian climbers of the 2D1N tour package for 13th and 14th July 2013. Thank you :)

#14 Posted: 8/1/2013 - 04:05

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
mt kinabalu april 15 to 17, 2014 ... By nasmej11 on 27 Sep 2013 0 525 27 Sep 2013