Flag of Malaysia

Malaysia forum

Langkawi to Ko Lanta

• starjack

Joined Travelfish
    11th November, 2011

Having struggled to find specifics for this leg of my trip I've put together a summary of to to get from Langkawi-Ko Lanta together with the costs.

It is possible to buy an all-in ticket for the journey to Lanta from an agent on Langkawi, but if you wish totravel independently then the following was correct as of late October 2011.

As a simple comparison, if the all-in ticket from Langkawi-Lanta costs over 100MYR door to door, then you can doit cheaper independently.

To make the journey from Langawi toKo Lanta in one day, it is necessary to catch the first ferry to Satun ,departing at 9am.

A second ferry departs Langkawi at1pm and a third at 4.30pm.

Coming from Pantai Cenang a taxiwill cost 24MYR to the jetty in Kuah from where the ferry departs. Allow 30 minutes for the taxi ride.

The cost of a one-way ferry ticketis 30MYR and they can be purchased from the signposted ticket counters outside the ferry terminal.

There are plenty of cafes and smallshops at the jetty in Kuah where you can spend your last Ringgit.

Thai customs arrival cards areavailable at the Satun ferry counter and filling them on the journey will saveyou time queuing at the immigration desk at Satun.

The ferry ride takes approximately 1hr 15 mins and with Thailand being 1 hour behind Malaysia, there is plenty oftime to make the transfer from the arrival hall at Satun’s Tammalang pier toSatun bus terminal in time for the 10.15am A/C double-decker bus departure for Phuket which stops at Trang bus station.

Red songtheaws can be found waitingoutside the ferry terminal and a shared ride to the bus station costs 30THB fora 10-15 minute trip.

There are masses of touts inside the arrivals hall of Satun pier at whose desks you will be pitch hugelyinflated transfers to your destination and you will end up using the same transfers as anyone making the trip independently but without any flexibility.

The A/C bus to Trang was listed as400THB (immediately dropped to 250THB), so if you decide to use their service, bargain hard.

Tickets for the Trang (Phuket) busare available from the end counter at the bus terminal and cost 126THB.

The journey takes approximately 2 ½hours and a smart a/c tourist minivan will be waiting at Trang upon arrival. Ask any of the desks between the platforms and they should be able to point you to the right vehicle.

The minivan cost 250THB and thedriver was not interested in negotiation. You then pay for your ticket when the minivan stops at a tour agent opposite Trang train station.

The Minibus departure will likely not give you much time to buy/eat food so it is best to stock up on supplies whilst waiting at Satun bus station.

If you wish to stay in Trang, there are a couple of hostels opposite the train station (next door to the travel agent). I didn’t stay there but they looked funky enough from outside.

The minibus leg of the trip isscheduled to take 2 ½ - 3 hours but can take upwards of 4 hours depending onhow busy the roads are, how long it waits at the tour agents office opposite Trang train station, bad weather, and queus fore the two short ferry trips fromthe mainland to Lanta.

The minivan driver will expect you to know EXACTLY where you wish to be dropped off and if you do not have a fixed idea inmind he may urge you to get out at Lanta’s main town, Saladan, from where you will need to walk a few hundred metres and then pay for a taxi/tuk-tuk to your final destination.

#1 Posted: 11/11/2011 - 19:40

• Advertisement

• Mmmmatthew

Joined Travelfish
    25th March, 2012
    Location Earth

This seems like a perfect guide to get from Langkawi to Ko Lanta... Now I need to figure out if I can reverse it.
    I will attempt to put this well written guide to use for my means.

#2 Posted: 25/3/2012 - 20:28

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.