Flag of Malaysia

Malaysia forum

Steel-toed Boots a Problem?

• kejumonyet

Joined Travelfish
    20th November, 2011

I've posted this in the Indonesia forum also, here: http://www.travelfish.org/board/post/indonesia/16536_steel-toed-boots-a-problem-

I will be travelling alone to Indonesia and Malaysia in a few weeks. I always wear steel cap boots as I find them comfortable and I'm used to them, but my parents are afraid that I might get hassled by police while I'm over there. Has anyone had this experience or heard of this happening? I am not expecting that I'll be let into nightclubs with them on, so I'll be packing other shoes as well.

A friend of mine from Singapore suggests that the boots would be uncomfortable because of the rain and the heat, so I was planning to use them only for travel between cities and for bushwalking.
    I'm reluctant to buy proper hiking boots as I don't think I'll have the time to find ones that are appropriate. I don't want to spend a lot of money now and get ones that won't be suitable.

#1 Posted: 20/11/2011 - 20:32

• Advertisement

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

I wear boots and shoes here all the time. I never wear open toed footwear, don't even own any. It's not that hot here.

Secondly, nobody here much cares what you wear. If you are happy with them, then they're fine. Wear whatever you want. Nobody cares.

#2 Posted: 21/11/2011 - 06:43

• kejumonyet

Joined Travelfish
    20th November, 2011

Thanks for the advice, that does help!

To clarify, I don't really care about looking fashionable or whatever... in Australia, you can't get into nightclubs with steel caps because bikies and thugs use them as a weapon. My parents are worried that I'd get in trouble for police for "carrying a weapon" if I am wearing steel caps on the street, but I don't think it will be an issue myself.

#3 Posted: 22/11/2011 - 20:19

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

The police won't care unless you start kicking people with them. No worries. Maybe an airline - different issue though.

#4 Posted: 22/11/2011 - 22:20

• IHateHulkHo-
    gan

Joined Travelfish
    14th August, 2011

my plane leaves for Bangkok on Sat,and I plan on wearing my Doc Martins for the majority of the trip

#5 Posted: 22/11/2011 - 23:51

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Steel-toed Boots a Problem? ... By kejumonyet on 20 Nov 2011 0 947 20 Nov 2011