Flag of Malaysia

Malaysia forum

good guesthouse in Penang

• ambersaffron

Joined Travelfish
    14th June, 2011

Does anyone have a recommendation for a good guesthouse in Penang? Something centrally located and clean, for about $10-$12(USD- sorry I don't know the currency conversion). Thanks.

#1 Posted: 11/12/2011 - 22:27

• Advertisement

• chinarocks

Joined Travelfish
    17th June, 2011

We liked Hotel Mingood. Fits your bill. Check the reviews though first.

#2 Posted: 15/12/2011 - 16:31

• EurasiaTrav-
    eller

Joined Travelfish
    18th October, 2010

the Mingood is a (Budget)-Hotel and not a guesthouse.
    and the rate will be rather 30-35$ than just 10$.

for 10$ you will not find anything decent in my opinion. Malaysia does not have the same good-value-for-money guesthouses as has Thailand, Laos or Cambodia.

If I were you (and if traveling outide of the peak season), I would just go there and explore the options at LORONG LOVE and LEBUH CHULIA, which is the Backpacker-...... ermmmmm....... "Ghetto" of Georgetown

#3 Posted: 6/2/2012 - 23:15

• savorygal

Joined Travelfish
    16th July, 2010

I was just in penang & stayed at the old penang guesthouse. It is an old colonial building & very charming, but it can be a bit loud. ( my only complaint) I didn't stay in the dorm, so can't comment but the rooms were simple & clean & the shared bathrooms were new & spotless.

rooms are about 30 USD but you can get a dorm room for 8 USD. self serve breakfast & there is free wifi too. they are very popular so you will need to book ahead.

as an aside there is a great, cheap, local warang just down the street called angel cafe. good kopi pang ( iced coffee) and noodles.

have a good time in penang, I loved it.

http://oldpenang.com/rates.html

#4 Posted: 7/2/2012 - 04:26

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

30 USD? How was the overall cost of living in Penang? Did it strike you are pricey?

#5 Posted: 7/2/2012 - 21:54

• savorygal

Joined Travelfish
    16th July, 2010

The overall cost of accommodation in penang (georgetown) is higher than other parts of SEA, that's true. Maybe because it's a UNESCO heritage site, but that being said, food & transport are very cheap.

#6 Posted: 8/2/2012 - 03:26

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

You can live with that. I'm going to go dancing there eventually.

#7 Posted: 8/2/2012 - 05:37

• pinoytravel-
    er

Joined Travelfish
    18th January, 2012

Why pay more for a bed? Try Tune Hotels.com-Downtown Georgetown. It is a "no frill" hotel but decent enough for a night or two. You can visit their website and book online.

I stayed there with my niece during our trip to Penang and we were satisfied. The beds were soft, the linens clean, and above all the location is strategic. Will stay there again on my next trip.

#8 Posted: 15/2/2012 - 06:26

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.