Flag of Malaysia

Malaysia forum

Alternatives to KL for 24hr layover

• NT1979

Joined Travelfish
    15th December, 2011

Hi everybody.

Thanks to Airasia changing my flight times for my upcoming trip in January, I am stuck with a 24 hour layover in KL Airport.

Having spent a bit of time in KL (the city, not the airport) in the past, I'd quite like to avoid going into the city if possible this time, but don't want to be stuck in a hotel by the airport either. Are there any good destinations, accessible via public transport/taxi etc from the airport, that are suitable for a short-ish trip. (for info, we arrive at 2pm and flyout at 3pm the next day)

I was thinking of the place with the fireflies but can't seem to find out much information about how to get there without going into KL first.

Thanks in advance

#1 Posted: 15/12/2011 - 10:02

• Advertisement

• childly1979

Joined Travelfish
    27th October, 2010

At LCCT, there is direct bus to Melaka, but the schedule is not frequent (for example, 530pm got one, and the next one is 9pm).
    Another suggestion is Seremban which is pretty close to KL airport, the disadvantage is u might have to catch a taxi for going there. Somehow, check out at the info counter to get more accurate info as I might be wrong.

#2 Posted: 25/12/2011 - 22:04

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

If you are only there for 24 hours, Melaka might be a bit of a pain to get to. An alternative is Putrajaya - a suggestion a TF'er made to me a few months ago. Putrajaya is a 'planned' administration town - very pretty, architecturally interesting and with a few touristy places of interest. The mosque is kind of interesting, and has a good foodcourt. Other than that we just wandered around the town. I was there on the weekend, and as an 'administrative' town, it's pretty quiet then, but it was fine. More info here: http://wikitravel.org/en/Putrajaya and here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Putrajaya

You can get there easily enough from KLIA or LCCT airports. I think it took about 20-30min from LCCT - and it wouldn't be too much further to KLIA I think. Info on getting train to Putrajaya can be found here: http://www.kliaekspres.com

I didn't particularly enjoy KL last time I was there, so wanted an alternative for our 8-hour layover. Putrajaya fit the bill for something a bit different. I'm not sure about places to stay but just google it and maybe check TripAdvisor for some options. I notice this area isn't really covered on TF at the moment...

#3 Posted: 25/12/2011 - 23:19

• SimplyEnak

Click here to learn more about SimplyEnak
    Joined Travelfish
    20th January, 2012
    Location Malaysia

Putrajaya is good suggestion.

If you feel like taking it a easier there's a resort 20min from LCCT named Cyberview Lodge. They have great massages, pools and decent food.

Pauline

#4 Posted: 22/1/2012 - 05:29

• happytrails-

Joined Travelfish
    14th March, 2012

Hi NT1979,

Did you have any success getting to the fireflies at Sungai Timun? We are currently in Melaka and want to go there in a few days, but we're also finding there is not much information available about how to do it...

#5 Posted: 14/3/2012 - 06:11

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

Any particular reason you didn't like KL?

#6 Posted: 14/3/2012 - 10:54

• captainbkk

Joined Travelfish
    16th February, 2012

happytrails- you are hi-jacking a thread-make a new one -thats far more clear to anyone. I do not know if there are more as 1 of those fireflies-sight-see spots , but from KUL it is some 70/80 kms and there is NO bus back-so that means a regular tour-leaflets and offers by the dozen at any guesthse/hotel/tourdesk or tourismmalaysia. I recall this has another name though. Fireflies pretty much look the same anywhere you can see them.
    For -back to OP- what places to reach ex KUL it should be stated which terminal- as there are quite different links from both.
    A little to macman: I stayed for 1 week in KL last nov-and have been there-often only shortly- quite many times. I also do not really like it: dirty, a pain to reach many places, incomprehensible transport out of the limited LRT, superhigh special tourist prices anywhere in that Chinatown. For me BKK all the time. Though I am quite aware those who do not knwo BKK very well can say much the same about this city as i did on KL.

#7 Posted: 16/3/2012 - 21:08

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

MM, tt's hard to say why I didn't like KL. I recall enjoying it on my first visit way back '89. The last time in 2009/10, I was only there for four days total I think, split over two transit visits. The first time I think we ended up on the wrong side of town (nasty accom, not too close to trains, unsafe at night, etc. This is what happens when the you let someone else make the accom arrangements! Nothing seemed to go right in terms of the plans we made to visit various places. To be fair, it was a flying visit and wasn't enough time to get to know the city. But by then, I'd had enough of big cities anyhow so didn't want to stay longer.

It just didn't gel with me. Unlike BKK, which I loved immediately and have enjoyed each time I pass through. Maybe another visit and in a different frame of mind, it may have been different.

#8 Posted: 17/3/2012 - 03:12

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

I actually did not like Bagnkok my first time I went there. Part of that was the hotel (which was a nice one) was located in Patpong - and that just isn't my scene. And I was only there for a short overnighter to catch my flight out of country. The hotel had been recommended by a friend of mine (I found out latter he's gay - hence the choice) and I didn't know any better. The second time my wife was with, and it was a lot more fun. We spent a lot of time in Bang Sue, which is a working class neighborhood I like. And my wife always managed to get us into some small alleyways to go eat that did define exotic. Since then I know the city better, I speak the language a lot better... so I've grown to like it.

#9 Posted: 17/3/2012 - 07:25

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.