Flag of Malaysia

Malaysia forum

Pangkor Island -is it worth a visit???

• twink2010

Joined Travelfish
    23rd December, 2011

Hi All, Anyone been to Pangkor island? i'll be in Kuala Lumpar mid January and wanted to do a beach stop 3/4nights before continuing my jouney up to Thailand islands. Pangkor looks to be the nearest island around, for a stop off, is it worth the trip? (i know it involves a bus and ferry ride) and heard its not the cleanest place. Im a 30yr/f lone traveller want something quiet but not too remote. Was planning on staying in nipah bay villa? Any thoughts or suggestions would be really appreciated!! Thanks

#1 Posted: 1/1/2012 - 06:01

• Advertisement

• psyclist

Joined Travelfish
    2nd January, 2012

Pangkor is not remote, but its certainly not like Penang, Langkawi or the east coast islands (not accessible at the moment). There's a couple of good beaches and a few sights to visit. In my view it's a perfect spot to relax and refill the battery, so to say.

You will have no problems with being a lone female traveler too.

Nipah Bay Villa is not bad but I would prefer the Nipah Guesthouse. My 2 cents

This website has a lot more about Pangkor. http://www.pulau-pangkor.com

If you come around Chinese New Year, make sure you have a hotel booked anywhere in Malaysia as it will be busy as usual. Before and after, not a problem, Pangkor will be very quiet:)

#2 Posted: 2/1/2012 - 21:07

• twink2010

Joined Travelfish
    23rd December, 2011

HI thanks for this advice but i've decided to skip this island as i'm a bit short on time, and head straight for the Thai islands instead.. maybe i'll be back another time thou :-)

#3 Posted: 4/1/2012 - 10:24

• childly1979

Joined Travelfish
    27th October, 2010

Hi there,
    I've been to Pangkor for twice. If you're going there, don't miss out to look for the Blue Tears in the evening at Bogak Beach. For myself, just seen once and been told that to be very lucky! What's that? There are shinning blue color on the beach! Somehow, the light of reflection are so small and once you catch up some of them, then you would see more and more on the beach. That's the special experience from me.

#4 Posted: 12/1/2012 - 10:53

• AbgAcid

Click here to learn more about AbgAcid
    Joined Travelfish
    28th November, 2009
    Location Malaysia
    Total reviews: 21

Hi Twink,

Awww, thats too bad you are making a pass for Pangkor. Truly speaking Pangkor IS an idylic Island. Its very quiet, and there are lots to do, minus all the other entertainments you find on Thai island. Nite life like disco and stuff like that is non existisng.

The best way to discover Pangkor is by bicycle.Most resorts or bungalows offer bicycles to rent. Make one loop on the isalnd amongst the forested roads, though there are some killers hills that you may need to push.

Also the beaches are nice, rent a boat to the little island Guam. There is a protected fish ground that you can feed with your hands. And also another awesome thing to to do is to feed the hornbills. Yes feed them with your hands. These hornbills are wild, they come from the forest, but through a work of a dedicated bungalow owner who feeds them for 9 years, these birds comes by the dozens during feeding time. 5-7pm everyday. You dont need to go to Borneo to see hornbills, its all at Pangkor.

click here to see some pics what you can see and do on Pangkor. (the text are in Bahasa thoough, sorry)

http://malaysianbikers.com.my/forum/index.php/topic,74765.160.html (pg 9)

click pg 8 for the hornbills

regards
    AA Malaysia

#5 Posted: 13/1/2012 - 22:39

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Worth a visit during smoke season?? ... By oshi on 12 Nov 2012 1 1045 13 Nov 2012
..check my itinerary, please? Is Battabang worth to visit for 2 days? ... By flash99 on 9 Jul 2008 1 4338 9 Jul 2008
Cam Nam island, Hoi An, worth a walk!! ... By aslocran on 21 Feb 2008 1 3380 27 Feb 2008