Flag of Malaysia

Malaysia forum

A Trip From UK to China (No Planes)?

• Jhonvomer

Joined Travelfish
    9th January, 2012

I wanna know if its possible to travel over land to china from the uk.
    any advice for all or part of trip would be useful a few options im thinking of all involving Trans Mongolian railway from Moscow to Beijing

Option 1 Via North Europe Prob Amsterdam ,Hamburg, Copenhagen,Oslo/Stockhom, Helsinki and st Petersburg, Moscow ect ---By train

Option 2 Prob Thou France(paris),Germany,Poland and into russia --by train

Option 3 Same as Option 1 using---- ferry and train

any advice on how ,who , when , cost ,time , or alternative options ie skipping citys, using others

Thanks

#1 Posted: 9/1/2012 - 10:41

• Advertisement

• bishvabis

Joined Travelfish
    10th January, 2012

See the "Man in Seat 61" site below, which is a goldmine for information on train travel worldwide. The page below specifically tells you how to go about booking from London to Beijing, and there's also another page about internal Chinese rail services.

The usual route is Eurostar from London to Brussels, then an intercity to Cologne, then pick up the daily Russian sleeping car to Moscow (takes 2 nights).

There's a weekly train between Moscow and Beijing via the Trans-Mongolian route, using Chinese coaches (Russian dining car in Russia, Mongolian in Mongolia, and Chinese in China) , and a weekly Russian train via the Trans-Manchurian route. One way fare around £550 second class, £780 first class.

Don't forget that you will also need to budget for a Chinese tourist visa, and Mongolian, Russian, and Belarussian transit visas.

#2 Posted: 10/1/2012 - 12:06

• AbgAcid

Click here to learn more about AbgAcid
    Joined Travelfish
    28th November, 2009
    Location Malaysia
    Total reviews: 21

Hi Jhonvomer,
    Start from Kuala Lumpur moving north. Options are buses and trains. Then into thailand, right up till Chiang Mai. Then enter Laos at Chiang Khong, and travel east wards towrds Boten (the border town with China) I ve done this.

Another option is after Bangkok you turn east to enter Cambodia through Poipet. Visit Angkor at Siem Reap and then travel east again untill you come to Vietnam.After Vietnam, travel northwards enter china.I ve never done this, but I know its a an awesome thing to do. The furthest I did in this section was to Cambodia,

In any case, you will discover things that most tourists dont. Believe me. Do it.

AA Malaysia

#3 Posted: 13/1/2012 - 22:49

• stefani88

Joined Travelfish
    17th January, 2012

Posted from within Vietnam.

Thank you so much for your post.

#4 Posted: 17/1/2012 - 02:26

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.