Flag of Malaysia

Malaysia forum

Is there any tips to know about Malaysia?

• lelindaedwa-
    rds

Joined Travelfish
    18th January, 2012

hey,i am planning to travel to Malaysia next month,i just wanted to know if there's any tips or important info. to know about the country,like best travel agencies there,tourist sites n such

THNX

#1 Posted: 18/1/2012 - 05:14

• Advertisement

• chinarocks

Joined Travelfish
    17th June, 2011

-- Rainfall in Malaysia generally occurs between the month of October or November and the end of February in the East coast of Peninsular Malaysia and in the region of Sabah and Sarawak. Hence, avoid places like the Perhentians (which may be closed anyway).

-- It is a Muslim country (albeit a modest one), hence dress and behave appropriately. The people are generally extremely friendly as long as you show them even a modicum of respect.

-- Eat like a king in Penang, for next to nothing.

-- Shop in the markets in KL.

#2 Posted: 18/1/2012 - 05:32

• Benno

Joined Travelfish
    18th January, 2012

Malaysians are ace. Friendly, relaxed and fun.
    ** Don't eat western food (as in hamburgers etc) as they will result in tummy upsets. Took me 2 go's to figure this one out. :)
    ** Do eat from the stalls or anywhere you see heaps of locals. It might look yuk but you will be surprised.
    ** Show respect (really this should be worldwide) to every local and you will be surprised how they respond,
    ** Show a little interest, if you know what an item is, ask what it is in Malaysian and try and say it, they will laugh at you for mucking it up, but its fun.
    As for tourist sites and travel agencies, it really depends on where you are going, or intend to go. Type in th eplace you are interested in in the search box of this site or Tripadvisor and go from there.

Malaysia is a safe place and yu will enjoy your stay, even if it is only in KL.

#3 Posted: 13/2/2012 - 16:42

• Saphir

Click here to learn more about Saphir
    Joined Travelfish
    19th May, 2009
    Total reviews: 7
    Places visited:
    At least 57

Have taken a few long distance trains in Malaysia and found I needed a jacket as the aircon was pretty chilly.

#4 Posted: 19/3/2012 - 12:55

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

I'm strictly and islands and beaches guy. In April both sides tend to have okay weather - I've found Langkawi, Tioman, Redang and the Perhentians are well worth a visit. All have accommodation from budget to high end.
    However the nicest Malaysian island I've visited is Pulau Kapas in the north-east not far from Redang and the Perhentians - you won't find top-end or midrange accommodation here although tiny adjacent Pulau Gemas has a nice midrange joint.

#5 Posted: 21/3/2012 - 03:39

• moer2237

Click here to learn more about moer2237
    Joined Travelfish
    20th April, 2010
    Location Malaysia

Malaysia offers a wide variety but it depend on your needs. Well, here's my suggestion on places on interest:-

For city lovers - Kuala Lumpur will be the place. A must, will be Petronas Twin Towers, Bukit Bintang area, Chinatown, KL Tower(for couple having dinner will be great).

For beaches & island - Try Sipadan or Langkawi,

For nature - Try Taman Negara, Mulu Cave,Cameron Highlands & Genting Highlands.

For Heritage - Malacca

All the best!
    Moer Ahmad

#6 Posted: 23/3/2012 - 22:24

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.