Flag of Malaysia

Malaysia forum

Best places for student travel in Malaysia?

• terenkleon

Joined Travelfish
    26th January, 2012

Im an 18 year old student, looking to do some travelling over my summer break with a friend. We're considering Malaysia/Thailand/Singapore. We want to stay in youth hostels and move around every few days. If anyone has been to this corner of the world, do you have any suggestions for places to go, or tips for travelling in this area?
    Any responses will be greatly appreciated!! Thanks!

#1 Posted: 26/1/2012 - 07:38

• Advertisement

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Total reviews: 53
    Places visited:
    At least 48

Malaysia and Singapore are expensive no matter how you cut it - and much more so compared to other parts of Southeast Asia. If you're looking to do things on the cheap I'd consider other locations. If you still want to do Malaysia I'd say that Penang would be interesting and you can find cheaper accommodations, along with the Cameron Highlands. Over the summer the monsoon will not be on the East side of the peninsula, so a trip to the Perhentian islands will probably be nice - though pricey, I don't know abut budget accommodations there. Last note; if you are a drinker then I would save a bit extra for the trip as alcohol is taxed heavily and the only place I've found affordable drinks is in the Duty Free Zone of Langkawi.

#2 Posted: 27/1/2012 - 00:48

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Being a student in Indonesia and travel afterwards ... By aprilshine on 27 Mar 2013 1 905 29 Mar 2013
American student trying to travel to Burma ... By naloring on 23 Sep 2009 14 6003 6 Aug 2011
Is an ISIC or student travel card worth it? ... By Drapes1 on 17 Jan 2010 2 5620 1 May 2011