Flag of Malaysia

Malaysia forum

From perhentian islands to taman negara

• jonyd1

Joined Travelfish
    29th September, 2010

Hey all - I was wondering if anyone had any good suggestions on getting from perhentian islands to taman negara? I figured I would need to get to Jerantut, then take it from there, but I don't know the best way to do that.

Also, I have a couple weeks in Malaysia, and I would like to do KL, Penang, Teman Negara, and also need to end up in Singapore (flight is out of singapore). If it's possible, I would like to get to Melaka, Perhentian islands, and Cameron Highland as well. Any thoughts on things that should be skipped? I don't want to feel too rushed at all. Thanks!

#1 Posted: 4/3/2012 - 15:15

• Advertisement

• captainbkk

Joined Travelfish
    16th February, 2012

relax man-you do not need to worry about such things and look for sites that do not exist. The travel industry has a spread out carpet for you: just pop into any of the 100s of small tr-agents and they do all the work for you-incl a seat in direct minibus from quayside to park. No you cannot prebook nor any need for that. Just-like so often-adapt your thinking to the way that was before this www came.
    How long is couple weeks? 2?3?-do the math-divide nr of days among places-if thats 2-3 per town-enough-more as enough. Expect only specific answers if you take that odd sec to post a specific question yourself.

#2 Posted: 9/3/2012 - 20:15

• AbgAcid

Click here to learn more about AbgAcid
    Joined Travelfish
    28th November, 2009
    Location Malaysia
    Total reviews: 21

Hi Joni,
    From Perhentians get back to Kota Baru. Form there you can get a train ticket from wakaf baru station to Jerantut. A number of trains. This is the welknown jungle train, though now there is very much less jungle on its track. If you took the ngiht train, You will be at Jerantut early morning.

At Jerantut , it is easy to get to Taman Negara, taxis, mini vans etc etc.You make make arrangement for getting out too, but nevertheless there should be no problem if you make arrangement the day before you are checking out.. There are direct service to KL too from taman negara.. From KL is easy enough to go North (penang) or Soiuth (melaka). I d suggest do north first by express coaches. Cheap. After Penang take a direct bus to Melaka . Piece of cake. From Melaka another express bus to Singapore, again piece of cake.

Abg Acid
    malaysia

#3 Posted: 9/3/2012 - 22:25

• jonyd1

Joined Travelfish
    29th September, 2010

Thanks for the replys!

captainbkk, I have 2 weeks there, and I have a flight out of singapore. :)

AbgAcid, it seems the route I am planning on is KL->Penang->Perhentian Islands (Kota Baru, then to the islands)->Taman Negara->Melaka (seems I have to go through KL to get there?)->Singapore. Does that route make sense to you?

I'm hoping 2 weeks is enough. Also, does anyone know how long it takes to take the train from Kota Baru to Jerantut, then a boat from Jerantut into the park? Thanks a lot!

#4 Posted: 10/3/2012 - 13:01

• AbgAcid

Click here to learn more about AbgAcid
    Joined Travelfish
    28th November, 2009
    Location Malaysia
    Total reviews: 21

Hi jony,
    Your route is very doable, From Penang get an express bus to Kota Baru. Then you get to Perhentian islands either by taxi or bus.

From taman negara you probably need to get back to Jerantut to get a bus to Melaka . If its not available, then you need to get to Temerloh (another 50 km) . The express bus to Melaka is available from there. I had been on this bus before.

2 weeks is enough for the proposed trip, yes,

Train from wakaf baru ( Kota baru) takes approximately 7 hours. Boat ride is between 4 to 6 hours dependiing on water level.. Another option is to take a mini van from Jerantut. It takes about 1.5 hours to get to Kuala Tahan, the entry point to taman negara. The road was completed 8 years ago.

AA

#5 Posted: 10/3/2012 - 22:49

• jonyd1

Joined Travelfish
    29th September, 2010

Thanks again AbgAcid! I think I will probably try the train then boat,, even though it's longer - I've heard it's a nice trip. Can't wait to arrive - never been to Malaysia/Singapore before :)

#6 Posted: 11/3/2012 - 14:52

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Perhentian islands and Taman Negara in late Sept - Oct ... By gilrand on 27 Jul 2009 9 9733 14 Aug 2011
Penang or Taman Negara or / and Perenthian Islands ... By markio on 6 May 2010 1 3628 7 May 2010
taman negara ... By wayney666 on 14 Sep 2011 1 1866 6 Jan 2012
Taman Negara ... By perkypurplepixie on 4 Aug 2009 15 13240 10 Dec 2009
Day trip to Taman Negara... advice please! ... By MirTraynor on 16 May 2010 0 3229 16 May 2010
Taman Negara or Sarawak for nature? ... By WDCtraveler on 23 Apr 2011 8 3690 9 Jun 2011
VIDEO: Taman Negara, Malaysia ... By inspiredbykrissi on 18 Dec 2011 0 2724 18 Dec 2011
kl to Taman Negara National Park one day ... By sharpie on 14 Apr 2010 2 4802 16 May 2010
Langkawi to Taman Negara National Park ... By mario23 on 19 Dec 2011 2 2555 5 Jan 2012
Best way to Perhentian Islands ... By Carrelas on 2 Jun 2010 3 7646 18 Jun 2010