Flag of Malaysia

Malaysia forum

Kuala Lumpur's Little India

• mashreki

Joined Travelfish
    10th March, 2012

Hey all,

I may be spending 2 - 3 days in KL this June, and I had a few questions about the Little India area. It seems like a cool place to hang around/shop/eat, but is it close to transport (especially to/from the airport)? Also, I don't particularly care about fancy accommodation, but how are the hotels/hostels/guest houses there?

#1 Posted: 10/3/2012 - 22:31

• Advertisement

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Total reviews: 53
    Places visited:
    At least 48

I've not talked to anyone who stayed in little india as most people looking for budget options will stay in China Town - a nice walk up past some of the colonial buildings and city square to little india. Otherwise if you stay in Bukit Bingtang you'll be off the monorail line that connects directly to KL Sentral (there is also a China Town stop that puts you off a little to the south of China Town proper right next to the Guanyin Temple). If you stay in either of those spots you can pick up a 'walking map' of KL and you'll find that everything is really within 20 min walk of everything else. Don't miss Kampung Baru for a great dinner spot if you are in KL, for local Malay food.

#2 Posted: 10/3/2012 - 22:51

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Agree with caseyprich.

I was in KL a couple of weeks ago (and heading back in another week) and while we do list a few Litteindia places, will be removing them I think.

If you're a budget traveller, head to Chinatown, even if it is slightly less convenient to public transport. If you're more at a flashpacker level, Bukit Bintang is excellent and very well placed for public transport - there's also some budget digs on Tengkat Tong Shin that are well worth a link -- see the KL guesthouse listings for more info. If you want something close to KL Sentral (for onwards transport to airport) then the Brickfields area is ok, but really the other areas are better in my opinion.

#3 Posted: 11/3/2012 - 00:07

• mashreki

Joined Travelfish
    10th March, 2012

Well it looks like I'll check out some places in Chinatown and Bukit Bintang.
    Thanks guys!

#4 Posted: 11/3/2012 - 14:18

• rledez1990

Click here to learn more about rledez1990
    Joined Travelfish
    12th March, 2010
    Location United Kingdom

hi mashreki
    I agree with all the above- we stayed in Chinatown and it was brilliant! Lots of markets, street vendors, reasonably good transport links etc. We did walk to little india but didnt find it as exciting as Chinatown (personal opinion obviously). If you're looking for a place to stay, we stayed at a place called Grocer's Inn. It was pretty basic but reasonably cheap and clean, and located right in the heart of chinatown overlooking one of the main streets below. There's a communal balcony as well as a roof top garden, so you can watch at the hustle and bustle of the markets below. Have fun!

#5 Posted: 13/3/2012 - 12:06

• captainbkk

Joined Travelfish
    16th February, 2012

IF you happen to be Indian or of indian descent yourself it may look nice- no other choice re eats and shopping and hardly any budgettraveller as backpacker. Otherwise most likely not. It is very close to Brickfields=around the Sentral stesyen-so optimal for airportbuses and trains. Among the Malays it has the rep of a very seedy and ''dangerous'' area later in the eve and at night- dont know how much that is fairytale or stories from very long ago.

#6 Posted: 14/3/2012 - 03:22

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

"IF you happen to be Indian or of indian descent yourself it may look nice- "

What earth is that supposed to mean?! Good grief...

#7 Posted: 14/3/2012 - 03:58

• mashreki

Joined Travelfish
    10th March, 2012

So I booked for 3 nights at Sunshine Bedz in Bukit Bintang. Thanks for the help guys!

RE: The Indian or Indian descent thing...I'm not sure what that's supposed to mean at all. Actually, I'm an Arab Jew...but I don't think any of this has any relevance :p.

Now it looks like I just have to figure out transport from the airport, and some good street food joints to check out. Wooh!

#8 Posted: 14/3/2012 - 14:02

• Saphir

Click here to learn more about Saphir
    Joined Travelfish
    19th May, 2009
    Total reviews: 7
    Places visited:
    At least 57

I stayed at Grocer's Inn on Jalan Sultan.........that was a couple of years ago, though. I found it to be inexpensive and convenient.
    http://www.grocersinn.com.my/

#9 Posted: 19/3/2012 - 12:39

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Kuala Besut to Kuala Lumpur by bus??? ... By KatMachine on 16 Jan 2012 2 4874 17 Jan 2012
1 day in Kuala Lumpur ... By Manumask on 12 Sep 2009 8 7087 22 Nov 2009
Kuala Lumpur on 12 may ... By cscsky on 3 Apr 2014 0 633 3 Apr 2014
Kuala lumpur to Thailand- HOW MUCH???? ... By Ingrids on 30 Oct 2009 4 8594 31 Oct 2009
Kuala Lumpur to Ko Lipe ... By globoglobo on 3 Dec 2013 0 1047 3 Dec 2013
Singapore to Kuala Lumpur ... By nish on 24 Nov 2011 25 5740 23 Feb 2014
Kuala Lumpur - Hat Yai - Koh Phangan ... By haikalpribadi on 23 Aug 2012 1 3212 24 Aug 2012
Kuala Lumpur Airport ... By tyson on 19 Oct 2011 2 2063 19 Oct 2011
Kuala Lumpur - Krabi ... By mohdiqbal on 25 Oct 2011 2 2664 31 Oct 2011
Ko Samui to Kuala Lumpur ... By ACasualObserver on 4 Feb 2013 2 1796 4 Feb 2013