Flag of Malaysia

Malaysia forum

Accommodation in Cherating

• fontbleu

Joined Travelfish
    22nd February, 2012

Hi guys,

I am looking to head to Cherating for 2 weeks at the start of April to do some writing. I'm looking to pay about 40RM per night, hopefully less if I can arrange discount for length of stay, and need a desk in the room. A balcony with a nice view would be a bonus....does anyone have anywhere they could please recommend that would be suitable?

thanks

FB

#1 Posted: 18/3/2012 - 03:33

• Advertisement

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

I stayed at Tanjung Inn last July - real nice place with chalets spaced around a big pond down next to the beach. Go down the southern access road from the highway, turn right at the beach end and walk 200m. I paid 70rm including a simple brekka but April is shoulder season and away from week-ends you should be able to swing a decent discount on that.

Another one I've always liked is the funky The Shadow of the Moon budget chalet joint on the eastern side of the northern access road from the highway - only 100-150m from the main road. Has attractive looking chalets built up the heavily wooded hillside and an atmospheric restaurant up high. Prices usually are lower than Tanjung Inn.

#2 Posted: 18/3/2012 - 04:17

• Saphir

Click here to learn more about Saphir
    Joined Travelfish
    19th May, 2009
    Total reviews: 7
    Places visited:
    At least 57

I have stayed at Payung Guest House twice. It is fine - basic, no frills. No desk, but there was a table on the verandah.

#3 Posted: 19/3/2012 - 12:43

• AbgAcid

Click here to learn more about AbgAcid
    Joined Travelfish
    28th November, 2009
    Location Malaysia
    Total reviews: 21

Check out matahari guest house
    Very nice wooden bungalows. for the price that you had asked.
    Its very basic, but the balcony on the front verandah is good to chill out.
    This place has a kitchen , just beside the lobby. A fidge is availble for you to store your stuff. You may cook as the utensils are available for free, including gas. Coffee and tea are free. DIY

regards
    Acid Malaysia

#4 Posted: 29/3/2012 - 23:11

• tqe

Joined Travelfish
    8th April, 2012

Am also looking at heading for a Cherating chalet (in Cambodia now, never been to Malaysia) to do some creative work, but for a few months at least.

Do these budget chalets offer a montly rate? Are they suitable for laptop/internet (assuming I pick up a stick) work? How are they on the quiet quotient?

Thanks.

#5 Posted: 8/4/2012 - 03:38

• AbgAcid

Joined Travelfish
    28th November, 2009
    Location Malaysia

Hi tqe,
    The matahari lodge / guesthouse IS a quiet place to stay, its situated slighty further from the beach where the action is.
    Yes I think you can make arrangements for deals on monthly basis as I saw one bungalow has a lot of stuff on the balcony, even a couple of flower pots hanging. These are signs of long staying guests.

As for the internet, I m not so sure if they have a wifi.

Regards
    AA

#6 Posted: 8/4/2012 - 09:29

• antoniamitc-
    hell

Click here to learn more about antoniamitchell
    Joined Travelfish
    13th May, 2012
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 3
    Places visited:
    At least 34

Hi,
    I spent 5 days at Cherating last year (stayed at the Mata Hari, but as I didn't prebook I checked out about 8 places before making my decision, and they were all somewhat similar). Tanjung is the one most recommended in all the guidebooks, which is why it's more expensive than the other options.

My chalet at Mata Hari had a large front porch with table and chairs, and a table inside the room (both of which could be used as an impromptu desk for a bit of work).

You should be able to get a chalet at a budget place for less than 40RM (I paid 40 but was there in January), but don't expect wifi in the chalets. Don't expect hot water or many frills either in the budget places - Cherating is very small and a bit rustic (which is part of the appeal). Most of the town is pretty quiet.

There are a couple of bars/restaurants in town that offer wifi, but the connections weren't very fast when I was there. The best connectivity I could find was at the internet centre (you'll find it easily when you're there).

If you want to stay for a while, I'd recommend arriving and booking in for only a night or two to start, so you can ensure you're happy with the place (or give you time to check out other options) before you negotiate a longer stay.

Wish I was back there (we had hail here in London the other day!)

#7 Posted: 17/5/2012 - 02:19

• antoniamitc-
    hell

Click here to learn more about antoniamitchell
    Joined Travelfish
    13th May, 2012
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 3
    Places visited:
    At least 34

Sorry - just noticed the dates on this thread, and realised I'm rather late in replying. Hope the info wasn't too late to be useful!

#8 Posted: 17/5/2012 - 02:23

• AbgAcid

Joined Travelfish
    28th November, 2009
    Location Malaysia

Hi antoniamitc,
    No problem , at least some other readers will have a feedback as a general.. Well I was a favourite at Tanjung Inn too during the earlier days. Initially it was rm40 with breakfirst, then went to rm50 and now its rm60 without breakfirst. And now the keeper wants a minimum of 2 nights stay for any weekend.. Even if I want to stay for just a night I need to pay rm120. So its goodbye Tanjung.

#9 Posted: 17/5/2012 - 03:53

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.