Flag of Malaysia

Malaysia forum

Posted on CS: HELP, about a trafficking/abduction situation in KL...

• altmtl

Click here to learn more about altmtl
    Joined Travelfish
    18th May, 2009
    Location Earth
    Total reviews: 5

http://www.couchsurfing.org/group_read.html?gid=411&post=11859624

Hi CSers, got this message and thought of you all, hope that someone can be of some help.... feel free to contact me at tedweinberg -AT- gmail .c o m

Our friend Nga, a 23 year old female Vietnamese friend here in HCMC, has just been trafficked (abducted) and sold into prostitution in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. I’m asking for any person who has or knows anyone with political or diplomatic connections to contact one of us so that we can help rescue her.

The details: Last week, she went to Malaysia for a lucrative job offer at a high class club in Kuala Lumpur, where she was promised high wages. Upon arriving, her passport was taken, she was imprisoned in an apartment above the club, and she has been forced into prostitution, threatened with the punishment of beatings and possibly death if she doesn’t comply. Whenever she can sneak away to the bathroom, she makes secret phone calls to inform us of her state. She’s been there just over one week and isn't even allowed outside. In this business, she could be sold to the highest bidder within a week’s time and disappear without a trace. We have contacted the Vietnamese authorities here, but things seem to be moving too slow due to the inefficiency of bureaucracy. There is a person out there who has the power to put stop to this and help Nga, but we need help getting in contact with them. It is said that there are only six degrees of separation between any two people. Perhaps with the help of social media this can be proved true for a noble cause.

Thank you in advance for any advice, suggestions, or help.

#1 Posted: 23/4/2012 - 11:44

• Advertisement

• altmtl

Joined Travelfish
    18th May, 2009
    Location Earth

no reaction from you guys - sad:(

#2 Posted: 23/4/2012 - 18:31

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

Hey altmtl - it's not a case of 'no reaction' - I was saddened when I read it and will follow with interest. It's more a case of not having any contacts, or being able to do anything practical from where I am in NZ.

By the way, the link requires a CouchSurf login, and to be a member of the 'Malaysia' group.

Do you (or your friend) have any personal connection to the case? Or are you just spreading the word?

#3 Posted: 23/4/2012 - 19:19

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Places visited:
    At least 2

I'm wondering why she was allowed to keep her mobile phone (and buy a Malaysian simcard?) and why she uses it to keep her CS friends informed of her situation instead of ringing the emergency number of her embassy in KL.

You sure this is a genuine story altmtl?

#4 Posted: 23/4/2012 - 20:34

• altmtl

Joined Travelfish
    18th May, 2009
    Location Earth

best to ask the OP on CS, not me.

#5 Posted: 23/4/2012 - 20:41

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Places visited:
    At least 2

Alas cannot. As Lizzy mentioned, when you click on the link you posted, this comes up:

You are not a member of this group and it is private or the messages are hidden.

#6 Posted: 23/4/2012 - 20:55

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

Actually, that thought occurred to me too when I first read it (about the phone).

#7 Posted: 23/4/2012 - 21:33

• altmtl

Joined Travelfish
    18th May, 2009
    Location Earth

well, for sure if you'r not a CS member, seeing the post may not be easy, but all you have to do is join the MALAYSIA if you are... like I did. I came across by chance, as I may go there next yr.

#8 Posted: 23/4/2012 - 23:19

• worldeddy

Joined Travelfish
    25th April, 2012

Hi all, this is the poster of the message Jim linked to. I'll copy and paste what I wrote in just a second, which might help to allay some of the confusion/skepticism. But more directly, to address your points --

- I'm not this girl's friend on CS. In fact, I don't even know the girl. She's a friend of my roommate (I'm not in Viet atm, but she is), and I'm just spreading the word.
    - The Viet authorities have been contacted, I'm told, but are moving a bit too slow to ensure that this ends well. And based on my personal impressions of Vietnam, and the impressions of Malaysia I've gotten from reading this http://www.hrw.org/news/2011/10/31/cambodia-malaysia-domestic-workers-face-abuse and daily articles about cases like this, it's not really a question of letting someone know, because chances are they won't care.... especially if you're of the migrant worker class.
    - So yea, just putting it out there on the vague chance that someone somewhere will read this and know what to do. Because my roommate and her friends sure don't. Would appreciate any help at all anyone can offer, even spreading the word helps... I hope.

Here is the cut-n-paste:

Our friend Nga, a 23 year old female Vietnamese friend here in HCMC, has just been trafficked (abducted) and sold into prostitution in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. I’m asking for any person who has or knows anyone with political or diplomatic connections to contact one of us so that we can help rescue her.
    The details: Last week, she went to Malaysia for a lucrative job offer at a high class club in Kuala Lumpur, where she was promised high wages. Upon arriving, her passport was taken, she was imprisoned in an apartment above the club, and she has been forced into prostitution, threatened with the punishment of beatings and possibly death if she doesn’t comply. Whenever she can sneak away to the bathroom, she makes secret phone calls to inform us of her state. She’s been there just over one week and isn't even allowed outside. In this business, she could be sold to the highest bidder within a week’s time and disappear without a trace. We have contacted the Vietnamese authorities here, but things seem to be moving too slow due to the inefficiency of bureaucracy. There is a person out there who has the power to put stop to this and help Nga, but we need help getting in contact with them. It is said that there are only six degrees of separation between any two people. Perhaps with the help of social media this can be proved true for a noble cause.
    Thank you in advance for any advice, suggestions, or help.

#9 Posted: 25/4/2012 - 03:46

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

"We have contacted the Vietnamese authorities here, but things seem to be moving too slow due to the inefficiency of bureaucracy."

Things are moving slow because communist officials probably couldn't care less.

If you have the name of the club, and you have the name of the girl, you have enough to call Malaysian Police in KL. There's a chance they're in the pockets of the gang, in which case they won't be much help. But there's a chance they're not, in which case you might.

Remmember, though, you have to make up a story like "She went to work at club X, and since she left we tried to call her and haven't been able to reach her. We fear she's been abducted by the club and have since heard stories of such happening in association with this club."

If the guys who abducted her think she's been talking they might kill her, certainly hurt her, and find the phone and take it. Then she'll be moved and that will be that. After that, if she's lucky they'll dump her when she's diseased, used up and of no use - that would be the good luck scenario.

SBE makes a very good point. Finding her cell phone would not have been difficult and since everyone has one I would have thought that unless these guys are morons, they'd have taken it. So it does make one suspicious. The people who need to pursue this are her relatives or close friends - people who know this is the real deal and not some BS internet story.

#10 Posted: 25/4/2012 - 05:44

• Advertisement

• worldeddy

Joined Travelfish
    25th April, 2012

hey mac, thanks for your help, seems like sound advice, have forwarded.

#11 Posted: 25/4/2012 - 11:20

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.