Flag of Malaysia

Malaysia forum

East Coast Beaches

• Lraj

Joined Travelfish
    23rd April, 2012

Hello, I am planning an 8 day trip to singapore and malaysia. I'm hoping to spend some time in taman negra. I also would love to see some of the islands on the east coast. I am debating about either flying up to kota bharu and trying to get to some islands from there or taking a bus from singapore to mersing and then exploring around tioman island.

Any suggestions on which is the better option? I prefer modest priced or less and not too crowded

#1 Posted: 25/4/2012 - 13:17

• Advertisement

• moer2237

Click here to learn more about moer2237
    Joined Travelfish
    20th April, 2010
    Location Malaysia

Hi Lraj,

If you are looking for less crowded try Pulau Redang or Pulau Perhentian. It is less crowded compared to Tioman. Btw, you will need to fly to Kuala Terengganu instead of Kota Bharu.

All the best.
    Moer Ahmad

#2 Posted: 30/4/2012 - 01:58

• ewilder

Joined Travelfish
    4th May, 2012

Hey,

I live here in Malaysia and actually just got back from Tioman about 5 days ago.

I personally LOVE Pulau Perhentian (Kecil), the small island. It is my home away from home on long weekends. However, in the past year it has sadly started getting more "trashed" literally quite a bit of trash coming in on the tide every morning/evening. When I first went 3 years ago I was amazed by the clarity and the beauty. Don't get me wrong still AMAZING. Perhentians is a small island, you can walk across it in about 3-5 minutes and up and down the entire Long Beach in about the same amount of time. It has a couple of beach bars, lots of dive shops, and little restaurant/chalets to stay at. My suggestion is Moonlight. Great staff...though don't expect a whole lot accommodation wise....

Tioman is beautiful. Be prepared that it's a 2-3 hour boat ride from Mersing out to the island, dependent on which beach you are going to and if the boat is on time. I stayed in Salang, the last stop on the ferry. It was a beautiful spot and from what I was told the best in terms of "beaches" on the island. You can take a taxi boat to other beaches for 20-50 RM. The water is beautiful and the people were great. However, if you are looking for the "party" scene, I wouldn't recommend Salang because it is a pretty mellow/low key location with lots of families and locals.

I'm from the US but live and work here in Malaysia so if you have any questions feel free to ask.

Taman Negara is great!

#3 Posted: 4/5/2012 - 10:09

• Lraj

Joined Travelfish
    23rd April, 2012

Thanks for your help.

Any suggestions on interesting places to stop for a night between johor bahru and kuala besut (en route to pulau perhentian kecil)? We decided to drive so we could see some more of the penninsular east coast

#4 Posted: 4/5/2012 - 15:41

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Road trip USA - East coast to West coast ... By svinoth03 on 12 Sep 2012 0 789 12 Sep 2012
East coast or West coast thailand? ... By steffanmathias on 20 Oct 2008 3 15457 25 Oct 2008
East coast vs. West coast? ... By olsons on 20 Aug 2007 2 4308 27 Aug 2007
East Coast to West Coast! ... By Glome on 5 Nov 2011 2 1931 6 Nov 2011
East Coast / Islands ... By nedders on 27 Jan 2010 6 3521 25 Jan 2011
Koh Phagnan East Coast around FMP ... By JohnnyM on 9 Nov 2012 3 1553 13 Nov 2012
East Coast of Malaysia in August ... By starfish on 17 Feb 2011 9 4310 9 Jun 2011
First Time in Thailand - East Coast ... By KidCat on 11 May 2012 6 1516 15 May 2012
accomadation east coast Negros ... By sapote on 14 Jan 2011 5 2921 6 Aug 2011
August weather - East coast ... By emma066 on 27 Apr 2010 4 5074 14 May 2010