Flag of Malaysia

Malaysia forum

What to do during my 7hour layover in Kuala Lumpur... ...??

• TravellerX

Joined Travelfish
    26th April, 2012

i'm flying to cambodia, on the 22/05/12; i have a 7 hour layover in kuala lumpur... ...and then another one, for 8 hours, on my way back to london, on 05/06/12... ... ... i was hoping someone could give me some ideas of what to do, while i'm there?

#1 Posted: 26/4/2012 - 16:43

• Advertisement

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

I wouldn't bother going into town, not worth the hassle and you don't really have enough time. You'll be jet lagged and tired after your long flight from London. I presume you're using Air Asia to get to Cambodia? Better to book a room at the Tune Hotel (within walking distance from the LCCT where Air Asia leaves from) so you can have a shower and get some sleep. Or sleep and shower at the Transit Hotel at KLIA (the International airport where you'll be arriving) and then head over to the LCCT. You'll be able to get on with your holiday in Cambodia sooner than you would if you arrive totally knackered.

On the way back you've theoretically got an hour longer but Air Asia flights are often delayed. You 'll have to change terminals both times you're in KL and that takes 35 minutes on a bus. (Buses leave every 20 minutes so it could take almost an hour to travel between terminals if you just miss one) Then there's check in queues, immigration, collecting bags etc. All that takes time and you'll have luggage with you.

Anyway, on the way back you could use the transit hotel at KLIA and either sleep there or just use the gym, sauna and shower. There's a massage place at KLIA too and some airlines like Emirates have lounges for their customers.

#2 Posted: 26/4/2012 - 18:27

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

I was in a similar position last year with about 8 hours to kill, and given that I was arriving on an overnight flight, I figured I would want to crash out in Tunes to get a good sleep. However I latched onto the idea of going in to nearby Putrajaya, as suggested by another TF'er - and was glad that I did.

Putrajaya is an administration town with interesting architecture, a beautiful mosque worth visiting, and a pretty decent food hall. You can get there easily by getting a bus/train to the local train station then a taxi for a quick ride into the main town. There is a luggage place at LCCT airport where you can leave your bags... it's just outside the door and to the right as you exit the immigration area into the public area.

I posted some useful info previously here: http://www.travelfish.org/board/post/malaysia/16842_alternatives-to-kl-for-24hr-layover

As SBE points out, you will need to plan your time carefully to allow plenty of time to get back to the airport to check in etc before your next flight - and it's only going to work if your incoming flights are on time. I had everything well researched and printed out (in terms of costs, luggage storage location, and bus/timetables). I think I had about 4 hours in the central town/mosque area which was a nice little excursion. If you're not coming in/out of LCCT you can probably do it from KLIA as well, but I'm not sure of logistics/times.

Something to consider. Of course, a sleep and shower is also good!

#3 Posted: 26/4/2012 - 19:41

• TravellerX

Joined Travelfish
    26th April, 2012

Thanks SBE and BusyLizzy,

I appreciate what both of you have told me ... ... ... ... ...I'll be flying with malaysia airlines, into and out of terminal M. From what you've said here, and what I read on the other feed, I guess Putrajaya is probably my best bet... ... ...but perhaps I should, heed your advice and, choose to go there on my way back to London because I'm sure that more than 12hours, in economy class, will be very exhausting... ... ...this will be my very first trip outside of Europe and I'm looking forward to it so, so much!!!

I think it's going to be a life changing experience, for sure... ... ... ... ... ... ...I've packed myself a survival kit (for a worst case scenario situation), and I've also been planning to take a bowie knife (with an eight inch blade), because on other camping expeditions it has been an invaluable tool... ... ...I've checked that I can have it on board the aircraft (in my checked-in luggage) and I am allowed; however I was wondering if you might know if there is any restrictions, which might prohibit me from having it with me, inside Cambodia and/or Malaysia. obviously, as I have said, the purpose of having it is for various valid reasons, while I'm camping and trekking in rural areas etc. I'm under no illusion that it'd be ok to have it strapped to my waist, while I'm in Kuala Lumpur, Phnom Phen or other town areas.

#4 Posted: 26/4/2012 - 20:48

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

Ah, I didn't realize you were flying all the way to Cambodia on Malaysia airlines. In that case they should be checking your luggage all the way through to final destination so you won't have to worry about that and you won't have to change terminals either. Might be worth checking with Malaysia airlines to see if they offer any free/reduced price transit facilities for economy passengers with very long layovers seeing as KLIA is their main hub. No guarantees that they do as most airlines are busy trying to cut costs these days, but worth a phone call. You should have plenty of time to check out Lizzy's good suggestion too on the way back.

Re the survival kit and an 8 inch blade knife. What's in the "survival kit" and why do you reckon that great big knife will be useful?

Rule #1 in backpacking is to travel light and eliminate any useless excess weight....and that's useless excess weight IMO, especially for just two weeks in Cambodia.

I'm female, old enough to be a grandmother (sigh), and I regularly travel to SE Asia for months on end, usually all on my own, and very often to remote places where you don't see another tourist for weeks on end. I have camped, hiked mountains and trekked jungles and cannot recall ever thinking: "Darn I wish I'd brought a survival kit and an 8 inch blade with me". I find a compact swiss knife comes in quite handy though .... mainly to open bottles of beer but I sometimes use the blade to peel mangos or cut bits of string too.

#5 Posted: 27/4/2012 - 04:00

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
10 hour layover in Kuala Lumpur ... By Dutch on 14 Jul 2014 1 129 14 Jul 2014
Kuala Besut to Kuala Lumpur by bus??? ... By KatMachine on 16 Jan 2012 2 4592 17 Jan 2012
Kuala Lumpur on 12 may ... By cscsky on 3 Apr 2014 0 442 3 Apr 2014
1 day in Kuala Lumpur ... By Manumask on 12 Sep 2009 8 6925 22 Nov 2009
Kuala Lumpur - Krabi ... By mohdiqbal on 25 Oct 2011 2 2572 31 Oct 2011
Ko Samui to Kuala Lumpur ... By ACasualObserver on 4 Feb 2013 2 1725 4 Feb 2013
Kuala lumpur to Thailand- HOW MUCH???? ... By Ingrids on 30 Oct 2009 4 8173 31 Oct 2009
Kuala Lumpur to Ko Lipe ... By globoglobo on 3 Dec 2013 0 852 3 Dec 2013
Singapore to Kuala Lumpur ... By nish on 24 Nov 2011 25 5378 23 Feb 2014
Kuala Lumpur - Hat Yai - Koh Phangan ... By haikalpribadi on 23 Aug 2012 1 3076 24 Aug 2012