Flag of Malaysia

Malaysia forum

Penang / Langkawi nightlife

• mattbt

Joined Travelfish
    1st March, 2011
    Location United Kingdom

I'm going back to S.E Asia in Decemebr but this time using KL as my base. I'm flying over to Thailand for a few weeks. My flight back home is on the 17th Jan from KL and i'm wondering if i should fly straight back to KL or make a stop at Penang or Langkawi. I've found a flight for £38 from Bangkok to Penang, was thinking of stopping here 2 nights then over to Langkawi for 2 nights. Is this enough time in each or should i just stick to one? As its the end of the trip i'd like it to be quite lively at night, what are peoples suggestions on nightlife in these two places or am i best just sticking with Thailand?

Thanks in advance if anyone can help.

#1 Posted: 18/5/2012 - 04:55

• Advertisement

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Total reviews: 53
    Places visited:
    At least 48

I wouldn't describe the nightlife in Langkawi as that lively. Mostly groups walking around the streets and hanging out at beach bars. Not sure about Penang, but if you hear good things about there I'd stick to the one location. Malaysia isn't the best place for a lively nightlife as drinks are more expensive than elsewhere in SE Asia (heavily taxed - though not in Langkawi it didn't seem to translate into a big party scene). If you really want a lively time I'd suggest staying in BKK.

#2 Posted: 18/5/2012 - 09:09

• captainbkk

Joined Travelfish
    16th February, 2012

PNg is an silans and fairly big. it all depends wher you stay. maybe also what type of tourist or traveller you are.
    At Beachside=Batu Ferrignhi it will be very much like Langkawi, but more quiet and older.
    IN Georgetown /Jln Chulah and around it is bekpek haven- alittle like KhaoSarn in BKK, wo thats meet+mate between the foreign sexes, helped by expensive Malay beers in travellers cafes.
    As GT it malysia's 2nd town, there will be disco, karaOK, clubs etc- aiming at the local Chinese.

#3 Posted: 18/5/2012 - 09:39

• jenchew

Joined Travelfish
    18th June, 2012

heh suggest you fly to Penang then book a coach you can walk around in Penang and Langkawi then maybe Ipoh, Cameron Highland and KL. hassle free by using coach since they can bring you around and till your flight day.

#4 Posted: 18/6/2012 - 05:19

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

Penang has a decent salsa scene if you like to dance. I know some of the dancers from there. Suppose to be OK.

#5 Posted: 18/6/2012 - 10:44

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Langkawi vs Penang - which is best? ... By cazabdn on 4 Jan 2010 5 11806 19 Jun 2010