Malaysia forum

Travel Ideas and Advice

• Geer1

Joined Travelfish
    14th September, 2012
    Places visited:
    At least 42

Hi,

Just planning a trip to SEA and thinking I will end it in Malaysia. My plan is to enter from Thailand, go through George Town, spend a few days along the coast and then head into Cameron Highlands and Taman Negara then down to Kuala Lumpur from where I will fly home.

Just wondering if there are any other sights that I should try and see, anything to do along the way and any recommendations for places to stay etc. Also would like to know how long I should set aside for this part of the journey. Would 3 weeks or so be good?

Thanks

#1 Posted: 14/9/2012 - 12:59

• Advertisement

• captainbkk

Joined Travelfish
    16th February, 2012

along that route there really is not that much else to go out of your way for. I think 3 weeks-even if you are the older-style type tourist who takes it easily, is too long for just that, 3 days per each palce is about the max to not get bored, so there is plenty of time left to go to other places. First would be Melaka-just south of KUL, next comes east-coast (much more Malay as the very modern/Chinese west-coast), but you did not say for when-so take a look at monsoonrain-seasons.

#2 Posted: 17/9/2012 - 05:36

• Geer1

Joined Travelfish
    14th September, 2012
    Places visited:
    At least 42

I plan to be in Malaysia in February, from what I can see this seems like it would be ok for both coasts as far as rainfall is concerned as I would just miss the majority of the two rainy seasons.

What do you recommend seeing/doing on the East coast?

I was wondering about fishing somewhere in Malaysia, is there anywhere in particular that offers good fishing?

#3 Posted: 18/9/2012 - 13:00

• Geer1

Joined Travelfish
    14th September, 2012
    Places visited:
    At least 42

I was just doing some more research on Malaysia and the different options. Seems like most of the east coast is kind of diving/snorkelling oriented and that my arrival in February would still be a little bit too rainy for some of the areas. Probably best to cut that part out.

Here is more of a currently thought out itinerary. I am wondering if Langkawi is worth it or if I would be better off just going straight to Penang . I will have just spent a month relaxing in Thailand so not sure if Langkawi has anything more to offer/worth seeing etc.

Ferry to Langkawi
    Ferry to Penang
    Train from Penang to Ipoh
    Bus from Ipoh to Tanah Rata to see Cameron Highlands
    Minibus or Boat from Cameran Highlands to Taman Negara
    Jungle train to Gemas
    Bus to Melaka
    Bus to Kuala Lumpur

Flight home

Still looking into any other little things to do etc but I think that will be close to my planned route.

#4 Posted: 18/9/2012 - 19:10

• tyler

Joined Travelfish
    7th December, 2010
    Location Canada
    Places visited:
    At least 71

You'll probably want to stay away from the East coast in February. Lots and lots of rain!

#5 Posted: 21/9/2012 - 09:55

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Travel Ideas and Advice ... By Geer1 on 14 Sep 2012 10 2741 25 Nov 2012
Travel Ideas and Advice ... By Geer1 on 14 Sep 2012 1 1612 17 Sep 2012
Travel Ideas and Advice ... By Geer1 on 14 Sep 2012 0 1660 14 Sep 2012