Flag of Malaysia

Malaysia forum

KL for a day!

• yomanvin

Joined Travelfish
    19th October, 2012
    Location India

I have 1 day to spend in KL(no stay) before my connecting flight. I know it's an annoying generic question, but what all can be accomplished from early morning till midnight in KL?

#1 Posted: 26/10/2012 - 07:52

• Advertisement

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

I haven't been to KL for awhile, but I remember being impressed with the National Mosque. Petronas Towers should be worth a look too. I had a similar day-long stopover in Seoul not too long ago, and booked a day tour of the city from a booth right at the airport. Perhaps KL has something similar. You could always just catch a bus downtown and have a look around on your own. Good on you for planning to get out of the airport and make the most of the day. It would be a shame to just sit around in the terminal. Cheers.

#2 Posted: 27/10/2012 - 11:00

• chinarocks

Joined Travelfish
    17th June, 2011

Go with an empty stomach and eat a lot. The food is awesome and cheap.

Batu Caves also worth a look.

#3 Posted: 27/10/2012 - 17:00

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Total reviews: 53
    Places visited:
    At least 48

Keeping your bags at the airport? Best bet would be to take transport into town and check out Chinatown, then walk through Little India(not an official name) to Kampung Baru (for lunch, though it livens up more in the evening).

http://www.travelfish.org/blogs/malaysia/2011/06/09/kampung-baru-kuala-lumpurs-most-traditional-neighbourhood/

If you were staying overnight I could recommend Batu Caves, but I don't think it is worth it if you are just staying from morning to midnight, better to just check out all the nice old colonial architecture around the square and then walk about China Town and such for some food and vibe.

#4 Posted: 27/10/2012 - 23:14

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

One option is to go to Putrajaya - I've posted here in the past about it, so do a search. It really depends on how long you have, and which airport you're arriving/leaving from as to what your options are.

Both airports have luggage storage facilities so if you're leaving from the same airport that you arrived form, you can leave your bags there.

#5 Posted: 20/11/2012 - 12:19

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Agree Batu Caves a good half day trip -- more on that here:
    http://www.travelfish.org/blogs/malaysia/2011/11/22/a-day-trip-to-the-hindu-temple-complex-of-batu-caves/

I was in KL last week and penned this short ditty about a short stroll around downtown:
    http://www.travelfish.org/blogs/malaysia/2012/11/08/a-short-walking-tour-in-kuala-lumpur/

And lastly, more day trips here:
    http://www.travelfish.org/blogs/malaysia/category/sightseeing-activities/kuala-lumpur-excursions/

Hope that helps!

#6 Posted: 20/11/2012 - 18:48

• iskandarsuh-
    aimi

Joined Travelfish
    28th November, 2012
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 2
    Places visited:
    At least 11

Go see the Petronas Twin Towers. You can spend the whole day there.

But if you finish sightseeing around noon, head on to the Islamic Arts Museum or Batu Caves or Selangor Pewter -- all three are unique and important landmarks/institutions in Kuala Lumpur.

Good luck!

p/s Use the GoKL bus to travel freely around the city centre. Taxi drivers will probably rip you off

#7 Posted: 28/11/2012 - 03:45

• mickeymouse

Joined Travelfish
    2nd December, 2012

Petronas towers and KLCC area are good for a day. You can see old town area and there are many local restaurants and shops to look around. You can travel by rapidtrain which will save lots of your time than driving or taking taxi.

#8 Posted: 2/12/2012 - 20:45

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.