Flag of Malaysia

Malaysia forum

Malaysia Trip

• CReneFriborg

Joined Travelfish
    12th November, 2012

My family and I are planning to go to Malaysia this coming December. But we are still thinking if we should also visit Singapore since it is near, any advice? I also need some tourist destinations in Malaysia where my kids would enjoy. Thanks in advance.

#1 Posted: 12/11/2012 - 22:42

• Advertisement

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Total reviews: 53
    Places visited:
    At least 48

I'd say 1st - Singapore depends on how much time you have, and if you want to see mostly city, shopping and food.

2nd - not sure what your kids want to do in Malaysia - there is a really cool bookstore in the mall at the base of the Petronas Towers that offers some really interesting Malaysian (w/ English) comic books (could be a good part of visiting that site: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lat). Otherwise, there are some very family friendly beach options in Langkawi if you want to do some relaxing and beach activities . . . I've heard good things about the KL zoo, but not gone myself . . Batu Caves really can't be that interesting for goods except for the monkeys who want to eat garbage as you climb the steps.

I feel like I'm not being very helpful with this . . . but that bookstore is great.

#2 Posted: 13/11/2012 - 06:06

• CReneFriborg

Joined Travelfish
    12th November, 2012

My family and I are planning to visit those two countries for a week. Do you think it is enough? or should we consider more time in order to enjoy the two countries? Thanks for suggesting interesting places in Malaysia, caseyprich.

One more question, how about Singapore? What places would you suggest? Thanks!

#3 Posted: 13/11/2012 - 17:27

• Ecoteer

Joined Travelfish
    19th July, 2012

If you have kids you have to go to Legoland in Johor which is the most southerly Malaysian State next to Singapore. It has recently opened so should be good, I havent been there personally yet though.

You could also go to Malacca on your way up to KL from Singapore.

If your kids like adventure activities then try going to Bukit Kinding near to Ipoh for the day. There they can go on Malaysia's longest flying fox, zorbing, kayaking, mountain biking etc. Its quite new though. It is run by an organisation called FUZE Outdoor Events.

Another thing is checking out the fire flies near to Kuala Selangor.

I would also hire a car and travel independently, driving in Malaysia is very easy and they drive on the same side as in the UK.

#4 Posted: 17/11/2012 - 01:54

• antoniamitc-
    hell

Click here to learn more about antoniamitchell
    Joined Travelfish
    13th May, 2012
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 3
    Places visited:
    At least 39

If you only have 1 week, I'd recommend basing yourself in one place (two max) and exploring what's nearby, rather than rushing about from place to place the entire time, especially with kids in tow.

You haven't mentioned what age your kids are, where you're flying in and out from, or what your interests are, so I'll only make some general suggestions.

Idea one: Singapore has plenty of family-friendly activities (zoo, bird park, botanical gardens for running around, sentosa island, boat trips on the singapore river, etc.) so you could easily base yourself there for a week, with perhaps a day trip to Legoland, as suggested above. But Singapore is a big, modern city. Is that what you want?

Option two: KL is another big city with enough attactions to keep a family happy for several days (Petronas Tower, science centre, zoo, nature reserve, etc). Malacca is 2-3 hours away and makes a nice couple of days, wandering the colonial old town. It has a bunch of small museums (none of which are amazing as an adult, but I think kids would find some of them diverting for a couple of hours).

Option three: Looking at the north of Malaysia instead, Penang has another nice old town to explore (house museums, the old fort) plus nearby are botanical gardens, some beaches, etc.

Hope that helps.
    Antonia

#5 Posted: 17/11/2012 - 06:03

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Hi Christian,
    I'm in Malaysia at the moment on the east coast - have a few thoughts, but first, how old are your kids? If they are young perhaps Singapore, Melaka and Legoland (fm Sg). If teenagers, skip Legoland.

Cheers

#6 Posted: 18/11/2012 - 00:30

• CReneFriborg

Joined Travelfish
    12th November, 2012

Thanks for your replies guys. By the way, I have 2 kids, one is 7 (boy)( and the other is 4 (girl). Well, based on your suggestion, I think we should stay in Malaysia for a week and explore the city. I think Legoland would be perfect for my kids, as well as other kid-friendly destinations.

#7 Posted: 18/11/2012 - 19:06

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

I took my two (4&5) to Legoland a month or so ago -- they loved it, though a lot of the good rides have a minimum age of 8 which they were not happy about! Pack sunscreen and a hat as there is little shade there -- will have a story about it up this week,

Cheers

#8 Posted: 19/11/2012 - 02:56

• Ecoteer

Joined Travelfish
    19th July, 2012

Just hear about the newly opened water park at ICity in Kuala Lumpur. Check out I-city its a winter wonderland of lights should be good for your kids :-)

#9 Posted: 19/11/2012 - 03:25

• CReneFriborg

Joined Travelfish
    12th November, 2012

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I will surely include Legoland and ICity in our Malaysia itinerary. :)

#10 Posted: 19/11/2012 - 17:09

• Advertisement

• buland

Joined Travelfish
    28th November, 2012

i got some useful information about site. next year i planned to visit malaysia. hope it will helps me a lot

#11 Posted: 28/11/2012 - 05:56

• chinarocks

Joined Travelfish
    17th June, 2011

This buland guy cracks me up :-)

Insightful advice indeed...

#12 Posted: 28/11/2012 - 10:56

• CReneFriborg

Joined Travelfish
    12th November, 2012

They gave a lot of insightful advice! My family and I are excited for our Malaysia trip next week! :)

#13 Posted: 28/11/2012 - 17:26

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.