Flag of Malaysia

Malaysia forum

Buying a motorbike in KL

• Bumble833

Joined Travelfish
    18th November, 2012

Hi everyone,

My boyfriend and I are about to embark on a 5 week trip around SE Asia, starting in KL and heading north. He had this idea that it would be awesome to buy our own transport and make our way around by motorbike.
    Does anyone know the price/feasibility for a foreign traveller to buy a motorbike in KL or elsewhere in Malaysia. And how doable this notion is?

#1 Posted: 18/11/2012 - 15:12

• Advertisement

• buland

Joined Travelfish
    28th November, 2012

i don't know the rate for buying. but i can tell you that you can rent a motor bike for 5 days. it will take 20 ringit per hour.

#2 Posted: 28/11/2012 - 03:51

• iskandarsuh-
    aimi

Joined Travelfish
    28th November, 2012
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 2
    Places visited:
    At least 11

Very doable. I suggest you go to Mudah.my (Malaysia classified site )and see the list of bikes sold by locals. Not only will you get far cheaper prices than ones in store, you'll probably make some friends too.

My only concern is the paperwork. Not sure how the Road Transport Authority would process the road tax, change of ownership and insurance for a foreigner.

By the way, if all is well, it should the process is less than half an hour to complete all (based on my experience selling and buying bikes to/from locals)

p/s The good thing about using bike on the highway is it is free. But the bad thing is you just need to be aware of the crazy drivers of the South East Asia.

#3 Posted: 28/11/2012 - 03:58

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.