Flag of Malaysia

Malaysia forum

a few days - your fave?

• upstateNYla-
    uren

Joined Travelfish
    29th November, 2012

hello all!
    i'll be travelling north by train from singapore to ko lipe in mid december. i think i want to stopover in malaysia because i hear it's not to be passed over. what's the best most affordable place for beauty, amazing food and en route to ko lipe? what do folks recommend? - penang? langkawi? would love your advice!
    thanks!,
    lauren

#1 Posted: 29/11/2012 - 12:37

• Advertisement

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Total reviews: 53
    Places visited:
    At least 48

Alas, Langkawi is really a holiday island and I don't think it has the most authentic Malaysia feel to it - or even the best food. If you want a sense of Malaysia and the cuisine I think you'd be better off staying in Penang a few days. It isn't an ideal swimming or beach spot, but you're following it up with Koh Lipe directly afterward, so why worry. It is also more mid-way so does a better job of breaking up the trip to Thailand. Langkawi is a stone throw from Koh Lipe so seems a little redundant.

#2 Posted: 30/11/2012 - 00:34

• chinarocks

Joined Travelfish
    17th June, 2011

I would second casey's advice. Penang has great food and, while maybe not obviously beautiful, I found it a great place to kick back for four or five days.

#3 Posted: 30/11/2012 - 03:59

• upstateNYla-
    uren

Joined Travelfish
    29th November, 2012

thanks, y'all! appreciate the advice!

#4 Posted: 30/11/2012 - 07:06

• mickeymouse

Joined Travelfish
    2nd December, 2012

Hello! I like Penang, they have good local food and places are easy to go around. There are mixes of beach and city so you can enjoy both at the same time.

#5 Posted: 2/12/2012 - 20:30

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.